Author Topic: ELB Trilam question  (Read 7952 times)

Offline kevinsmith5

ELB Trilam question
« on: November 06, 2013, 08:05:34 pm »
I'm thinking of doing a white oak, hard maple, Ipe trilam. Maple core, white oak back, Ipe belly, 76", continuous taper from 1-1/4" x 8" handle to 1/2" tips and total length 78" (ntn @76"). My questions are if it was you how thick would you go on the Ipe and ae if you wanted 75-90 lbs? I usually use white oak as a 1/8" backing.

Offline toomanyknots

Re: ELB Trilam question
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 09:23:27 pm »
1 1/4" is too wide I think for an ipe bow of this weight. You wanna go 1 1/8" wide at the handle, for glue up dimensions, and then you might wanna take that down a bit too during tiller, etc.

- 1/8" thick backing
- 1/4" maple core, tapering to somewhere in between 3/32" and an 1/8" or so at the ends.
- 1/2" to 9/16" ipe belly.

This is based on my notes from making similar bows at 75" or so nock to nock. A full inch thickness with these dimensions can easily give you 120# @ 32", so I think 7/8" to 15/16" should be more than enough meat for you. I think it is important to taper your core with softer cores such as maple as well, only because you can get set in the tips if you don't. Although I am pretty bad at remembering to taper them myself,  ;D.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

mikekeswick

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 10:25:54 am »
Yep 1 1/4 is too wide. Ok for glue-up but the finished bow definately won't need to be wider than 1 inch at the handle.
I personally would go for a 1/4 backing and an 1/8th core...then no need to taper it  ;) but that's really just personal preference...although i'm not 100% on it but I think thicker backings work well with ipe and other very dense woods.
Toomany's advice is spot on.

Offline adb

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 10:54:06 am »
I'd go 1 1/8" wide at the handle, 1" total depth thickness. Continuous taper from a 4" handle to 1/2" tips and continuous belly taper from 1" thick at grip to 1/2" at tips. I'd also make the backing 1/4" and the core 1/8". The core should be compression wood so maple isn't your best choice, but it should be OK. Make your tiller just a sniff elliptical, and it'll be a sweet shooter.

Here's my interpretation of good tiller for a long tri-lam ELB...

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 09:22:54 pm »
Is that core ipe?

Offline adb

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 11:48:31 pm »
Yes. Maple back, ipe core, osage belly.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 01:14:53 pm by adb »

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2013, 02:08:10 pm »
Nice looking bow, great tiller.

Offline Bowman

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2013, 03:21:17 pm »
My experience is that hickory is a better choice in the back. I use white oak in the belly, but Ipe in the belly is perfect. Maple is a good choice in the core. Good luck. :-)
"for veik var kongens bue......."

Offline adb

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2013, 04:01:00 pm »
Hickory is a good choice on the back. So is maple. I've made maple backed yew warbows up to 120#, so maple is plenty good in tension.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2013, 04:02:27 pm »
Hickory is a good choice on the back. So is maple. I've made maple backed yew warbows up to 120#, so maple is plenty good in tension.

I like maple a lot too because it is lighter than hickory. If I wanna really light weight quick shooting bow, I find maple for the backing works great.

Offline Bowman

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2013, 05:24:30 pm »
Maybe maple is good. But ash is good in tension too. I use hickory and ash. Maybe American maple is better than european. Hickory was the choice number one in victorian longbows  from the 18 th century. :-)
"for veik var kongens bue......."

Offline Hamish

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2013, 08:02:11 pm »
 I haven't had a great deal of luck with rock maple for backing. Out of 4 attempts 2 were good. Those two I meticulously followed the grain, they were done by hand, not from a saw or planer, like I would use for hickory. The one's I tried like hickory sawn slats both blew on me at full draw, despite being exercised to full draw many times.They had very straight grain too.
It could've just been a bad board for the ones that blew, because the hand worked ones that followed the grain came from a different board.
The really good thing about rock maple was it gave significantly less stringfollow than hickory.
Maple obviously works as a backing. (Top job adb)I just think the grain has to be dead straight, or maybe even taken down to a growth ring when you get to really narrow bows like you do when you use ipe.
Haven't used Oak as a backing yet, but said to be on par with hickory if you use US white oak and its straight grained.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2013, 08:57:33 pm »
You might of just got a bad piece. I think it happens sometimes. I bought a bunch of hickory once, perfectly straight grained. And it would not make a bow for nothing. Every little piece broke. It is now barbeque wood.

Offline adb

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2013, 09:54:27 pm »
I've had great luck with maple as backing and self flatbows. ELBs, laminated flatbows, and laminated warbows... very few failures. Maple is actually one of my favourite woods. Canadian maple, mind you! Hard sugar maple.

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2013, 09:43:06 am »
For reference here is the list of woods I have or have access to for sure through my local wood lot that I know of-
Northern hard maple
Silver (soft) maple
Ipe
Jatoba
Purple Heart
Ash
Hickory
White oak
Red oak
Ipe
Greenheart
Locust (they aren't sure on variety and I've no experience)

He has been trying to get Osage for about 6 months but can't get any of decent length (pen blanks basically).