Author Topic: Paralyzed Deer Hunter Chooses to End Life Support  (Read 4340 times)

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
Paralyzed Deer Hunter Chooses to End Life Support
« on: November 05, 2013, 08:02:13 pm »
Paralyzed Deer Hunter Chooses to End Life Support   

http://abcnews.go.com/m/story?id=20791392&ref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

Tim Bowers got to decide for himself whether he wanted to live or die.

When the avid outdoorsman was badly hurt Saturday in a hunting accident, doctors said he would be paralyzed and could be on a ventilator for life. His family had a unique request: Could he be brought out of sedation to hear his prognosis and decide what he wanted to do?

Doctors said yes, and Bowers chose to take no extra measures to stay alive. He died Sunday, hours after his breathing tube was removed.

"We just asked him, 'Do you want this?' And he shook his head emphatically no," his sister, Jenny Shultz, said of her brother, who was often found hunting, camping or helping his father on his northeastern Indiana farm.

The 32-year-old was deer hunting when he fell 16 feet from a tree and suffered a severe spinal injury that paralyzed him from the shoulders down. Doctors thought he might never breathe on his own again.

Courts have long upheld the rights of patients to refuse life support. But Bowers' case was unusual because it's often family members or surrogates, not the patient, who make end-of-life decisions.

Medical ethicists say it's rare for someone to decide on the spot to be removed from life support, especially so soon after an injury. But standard medical practice is to grant more autonomy to patients.

The heart-wrenching call to remove life support is more often left to relatives. Even when a patient has outlined his wishes for end-of-life care, the decision can tear families apart.

Shultz, an intensive care nurse in Las Vegas, has seen it happen in her job. But her medical training also meant she understood the severity of her brother's injuries. His C3, C4 and C5 vertebrae were crushed.

Though his brain was not injured, his body was irreparably broken. Surgery could fuse the vertebrae, but that would only allow Bowers to sit up. He would never walk or hold his baby. He might live the rest of his life in a rehabilitation hospital, relying on a machine to help him breathe.

Shultz said her brother — the youngest of four siblings — wanted to talk but couldn't because the ventilator tube was still in place. If the tube were removed, she told him, doctors were not sure how long he would live. But when she asked if he wanted the tube reinserted if he struggled, Bowers shook his head no.

Doctors asked Bowers the same questions and got the same responses. Then they removed the tube.

The last five hours of Bowers' life were spent with family and friends, about 75 of whom gathered in the hospital waiting room. They prayed and sang songs.

Through it all, Shultz said, her brother never wavered in his decision to die.

"I just remember him saying so many times that he loved us all and that he lived a great life," she said. "At one point, he was saying, 'I'm ready. I'm ready.'"

Patients often change their minds after they have had time to meet with spiritual advisers and family, said Art Caplan, director of the medical ethics program at New York University's Langone Medical Center in New York City.

Dr. Paul Helft, director of the Charles Warren Fairbanks Center for Medical Ethics in Indianapolis, said cases in which the patient makes the decision usually involve a debilitating illness such as Lou Gehrig's disease, which compromises the body but leaves the mind intact.

"We give patients autonomy to make all kinds of decisions about themselves," he said. "We've recognized that it's important that patients have the right to self-determination."

Shultz said her family had an idea what her brother would want because he had previously talked with his wife, Abbey, whom he married Aug. 3, about never wanting to spend his life in a wheelchair.

She knows that not everyone would make the same decision. But she's thankful her brother was able to choose for himself.

"No outcome was ever going to be the one that we really want," she said. "But I felt that he did it on his terms in the end."
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Joec123able

Re: Paralyzed Deer Hunter Chooses to End Life Support
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 08:20:36 pm »
Damn that's sad and scary some what to think I climb trees all the time never even thinking of falling and being paralyzed this kind of puts a kick into reality
I like osage

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 08:23:28 pm »
Sad, sad story.  Let this be a lesson to all you tree stand hunters out there to always wear a harness.   Not sure if this man was, but obviously, we all should.   The risk is too high to play games, IMHO. 

My Prayers go out to the family. 

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 01:27:40 am »
I almost fell again last sunday,After seeing this,hearing about a guy falling and killing himself a couple years ago very near here, My decision is made. No more tree stands for me. Prayers for this family.
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 09:23:27 am »
Heart wrenching story there Cip.  Fellow Hoosier too. I had not seen this yet.  I just started wearing a harness again after years of not wearing one after I visited a friend who had fallen asleep and fell out and broke his back at the shoulders.  He has been living on a couch since 2007 with limited arm movement.  This is a guy that when we were teens would fight 8 guys at the same time and win, now he just lays there.  He does have friends that take him and his daughter hunting, he watches her from a blind, I suppose that is some consolation, but still hard on him.  Thanks for posting Man, might save someones life on here, dp 
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 09:53:24 am »
53 and still climbing trees for me.  Less often than 20 years ago, as now I hunt from ground blinds more often not.  For this reason really.  Sad story.  Prayers for the family.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Patches

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 10:03:53 am »
that is a sad story.  I have heard about three other guys falling out of trees already this year.  One guy was wearing a harness, but was right at the top of his laddera and had not attached it yet when he feel.  He is OK just bruised up and sore and very lucky.  My stands are generally pretty low (less than 15 ft) but I still wear a harness.  I want to be able to hunt as long as I can (and play with my grandkids, and take my neices and nephews hunting, and make bows, and live life to the fullest as long as I can).
"You are never a complete failure as long as you can be used as a bad example..."

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2013, 10:20:07 am »
Yes that's a life changing story alright.A freind of mines' daughter fell out of her tree stand and supposedly broke her back.Tragic.She's walking now though.
I've climbed dozens and dozens of trees for my hounds with no harness but nowadays I use a saftey vest for deer hunting all of the time.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2013, 10:50:31 am »
Thats a REAL gutter there, damn. The brightest note in this story? The fella died doing what he truley loved doing, not many of us will be able to say that. Thanks for posting Cip.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2013, 11:30:15 am »
Awful story. We just had a hunter killed here in WA,    http://www.lewiscountysirens.com/?p=22051
this is just a reminder anyone can be gone in an second. Stay safe out there. Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2013, 03:15:50 pm »
That's sad, Cip, But I hope if I'm ever faced with that option I have time to spend with my Family and friends and then get to tell them to pull the plug.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline RyanR

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2013, 05:08:32 pm »
I fell 20 foot from a stand when I was about 19 years. Broke 1 vertebrate. I was lucky and it healed and have never had any problems. I told my family just in the last week if something like that ever happened to me to "pull the pin". I wouldn't want to live that way.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2013, 10:47:10 pm »
My take away lesson is to make sure that all my family and close friends know what is in my living will and that it carries more than just legal power, it carries the power of my personal convictions.

Like many others, I will be praying for the widow and the children.  Understanding and acceptance will be difficult to come by, if ever. 

Just so that all of you know, if you come to visit me in the hospital and I am being kept alivesimply by machines, please grab that plug and pull it like you are starting a lawnmower.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Atlatlista

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2013, 02:32:13 am »
This happened to an older friend of mine who was a volunteer at the wildlife center where I worked.  He slipped in the shower though, it was a bathtub/shower.  He slipped, broke his neck high up, was going to be paralyzed from the neck down, and chose to die.  It was hard as I saw him the day it happened before he went home to take that shower.  Crazy how the world works sometimes.
So men who are free
Love the old yew tree
And the land where the yew tree grows.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2013, 12:01:45 pm »
I'm getting old :o, that's why I put a rubber mat in my shower/bath tub. Almost did the same thing.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?