Author Topic: A few interesting notes..few pics on pg2  (Read 7642 times)

Offline steve b.

Re: A few interesting notes..
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2013, 11:37:44 pm »
Nice work.  I would have liked to see the results if you heat treated.  Was it high gpi?

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2013, 11:44:17 pm »
Nice curves, pd. looks good. jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2013, 07:45:26 am »
Being the impatient type more times than not I only leave them clamped about as long as it takes to be cool to the touch too. I like your caul Pearlie, gonna have to copy that one as the one I use is a joke. If I'm lucky enough to not tiller limb twist into a bow I'll then usually end up getting twist in the tips with my crappy caul.  :-[
Post that yew bow when your done, wanna see how it comes out.

Greg the key to a lined up and flat static for me, is a long caul. Mine is 24". That way I can clamp the bend down and then line the the lower limb/fade area up and clamp it. I rarely have to correct them doing it this way.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2013, 07:49:50 am »
This is kinda the 'normal' recurve route for me. I don't add my bends until the bow is 80% tillered. Less wood bends easier.

What kind of glue did you use for the tip overlays, Chris?

I also find I lose about 30-40% of the initial curve.

Adam its Loctite Professional in the light blue bottle. Its pricey, but none better Ive found. I use a bottle a month, or more. Ive made 4 osage statics and I dont think they moved since day one. I made one elm static and they moved maybe 10%, that bow NEVER gets shot though. I made a hackberry static and they stayed put as well, they were lightly tempered. Im told to expect this yew static to lose some, that wont bother me as the bow is too short and too narrow for this design.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2013, 07:52:23 am »
Nice work.  I would have liked to see the results if you heat treated.  Was it high gpi?

I suppose I still could temper it Steve. I tried counting rings and then my ADHD kicked in, there are at least 35-40. Its from Oregon and Im told several years old. It has zero deformities in the way of swirls, humps, bumps, kinks or knots. Its spotless really.

Offline artcher1

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2013, 09:24:15 am »
 "I tried counting rings and then my ADHD kicked in, there are at least 35-40."

I can't count past ten myself! ;D

Nice curve, how did the other one turn out?

Definitely heat temper the tips. Makes 'em stronger and allows for more weight reduction...............Art

Offline adb

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2013, 09:37:28 am »
This is kinda the 'normal' recurve route for me. I don't add my bends until the bow is 80% tillered. Less wood bends easier.

What kind of glue did you use for the tip overlays, Chris?

I also find I lose about 30-40% of the initial curve.

Adam its Loctite Professional in the light blue bottle. Its pricey, but none better Ive found. I use a bottle a month, or more. Ive made 4 osage statics and I dont think they moved since day one. I made one elm static and they moved maybe 10%, that bow NEVER gets shot though. I made a hackberry static and they stayed put as well, they were lightly tempered. Im told to expect this yew static to lose some, that wont bother me as the bow is too short and too narrow for this design.

I usually lose at least 30% of whatever initial curve I put in! Any idea why so much??

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2013, 09:50:28 am »
Could be a few things to watch. How much you reduce around the apex really matters. Most often my apex is a mega fuzz thicker than the wood before and after. Another thing is steam time, maybe not long enough? Or too long? Too long would permanently weaken  the wood it seems to me. Ive always had good luck with mine staying put, course Im told by my so-called "buddys" that my TIPS are fat! Hmmmm????

BTW, the bow is getting shot as I type. Its a fuzz over 51# @ 27", perfect-o for its too small of size. The tips havent moved.....yet. Ive only shot 30-40 arrows. The 10-12# of weight I gained, I took away by making my handle work more to compensate for too short and too narrow.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2013, 10:06:04 am »
Way to go PD.....Nice when you tinker with something till you get it the way you like.Sometimes I tinker with it too much and it has gone south on me.Most times not though.I use a 2' long caul too.
How long did you say this bow was?
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: A few interesting notes..few pics on pg2
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2013, 10:45:06 am »
Here are a few pics. Most of the deflex was there at birth, tillering set added to it some. Its too short an too narrow, but its fast and smooth as butta. 62" ntn, 1 1/8" wide, semi-flat belly. The draw pic is only 20". I wont hold bows at or near full draw on a tree or the wall.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2013, 10:49:17 am »
Very nice slender little lady.Sweet job Chris.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline dwardo

« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2013, 10:51:21 am »
Going to be a looker that one.

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2013, 11:01:13 am »
Man, I just love that smooth bend with the sharp statics great job.  Can't wait to see the finished pics ;D

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2013, 11:33:47 am »
niiice! I like it
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline Parnell

« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2013, 12:18:51 pm »
Like the way that looks!
1’—>1’