Author Topic: a TED talk on a young bowyer  (Read 4041 times)

Offline AH

a TED talk on a young bowyer
« on: November 04, 2013, 10:56:10 pm »
I ran across this really interesting ted talk

http://www.ted.com/talks/dong_woo_jang_the_art_of_bow_making.html

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: a TED talk on a young bowyer
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 11:12:15 pm »
Oooh, I gotta catch this one.  I love TED talks, even the ones I disagree with. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline caveman2533

• Steve Nissly
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 11:24:11 pm »
Very cool video. This young man has much wisdom for such a young fellow.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 11:30:26 pm »
Pretty cool!
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Atlatlista

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 11:42:16 pm »
I feel like there is a rising tide amongst young people today in respecting traditional bows over the modern training wheel variety.  It's really nice to see, and that young man has made a fine bow.
So men who are free
Love the old yew tree
And the land where the yew tree grows.

Offline StickMan47

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 12:00:07 am »
Great video. That young feller seems to have overcame a lot to get to the level of craftsmanship he is at.

So I guess that in South Korea, they don't mind if you trim the trees in the city? Looked like he was cutting those first one right off the side of the road in broad daylight! I know some places around here where that could get you in a fix! But miles of mulberry would be pretty hard to resist.  >:D
Makin fine firewood, one bow at a time!

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 10:59:35 am »
I was wondering when this was going to show up on here.  Watched it the other day.  I'm a little jealous that he could just work on bows in his room.  I can't even imagine the mess that would make. 
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Badger

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 11:10:44 am »
I was wondering when this was going to show up on here.  Watched it the other day.  I'm a little jealous that he could just work on bows in his room.  I can't even imagine the mess that would make.

Sawdust and shavings are not bad to clean up, I am a bachelor and if the weather is bad I just work in the house. When I vacuume it all comes up no problem.

That was a very bright kid and he took bow making to a high level of skill in a relatively short time. He also said that bow making peaked his interest in science and history, I thought that was cool and an important aspect to his seech.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 12:14:30 pm »
I love TED talks.  That was a nice way to eat lunch.  I gotta wonder a bit though about his story for drama.  I'd be shocked if he'd actually created a horn bow before having done a little research about his countries historical archery!

He did an amazing job.  Imagine being 15 and presenting that speech in Korean.  Bright young guy.
1’—>1’

Offline Badger

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2013, 01:27:28 pm »
I love TED talks.  That was a nice way to eat lunch.  I gotta wonder a bit though about his story for drama.  I'd be shocked if he'd actually created a horn bow before having done a little research about his countries historical archery!

He did an amazing job.  Imagine being 15 and presenting that speech in Korean.  Bright young guy.

Bright young kid but I had to roll my eyes when he implicated that he invented the same bow that his ansestors had made. They spent generations developing that bow.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2013, 01:47:32 pm »

Bright young kid but I had to roll my eyes when he implicated that he invented the same bow that his ansestors had made. They spent generations developing that bow.

Agreed.  In his next installment he will claim to have come up with the Theory of Evolution all by his very self when one day walking home from his harsh schooling. ??? :)
1’—>1’

Offline steelslinger

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2013, 04:27:34 pm »

Sawdust and shavings are not bad to clean up, I am a bachelor and if the weather is bad I just work in the house. When I vacuume it all comes up no problem.

That was a very bright kid and he took bow making to a high level of skill in a relatively short time. He also said that bow making peaked his interest in science and history, I thought that was cool and an important aspect to his seech.

I'm married, and my wife says it does not come right up ::).

Don Case

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2013, 04:34:35 pm »
I think a bachelors "good enough" threshold is set way lower than a wife's.  >:D >:D

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2013, 07:01:13 pm »
Very Cool!

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX