Author Topic: First Primitive WT (AZ coues).The "Whisper" bow kills.  (Read 5332 times)

Offline RabidApache

First Primitive WT (AZ coues).The "Whisper" bow kills.
« on: December 27, 2013, 11:38:25 am »
I had many opportunities to harvest a doe this year but I decided long ago it was a buck only for me with my own handcrafted Natural equipment.
First off, the equipment is a 62"ntn Mulberry selfie backed with elk sinew. The bow is a little light for me at 48# @27". The arrows are 32" cedars tipped with Ribteks and vintage Fred Bear RH. I chose cedar just because I needed a little more consistency with my shooting. I practice further than most primitive archers at ranges from 20-45yds. Seems 25-30yds is the magic stalking number for me.
Well anyway we hunted hard, 3 blown stalks and a couple bucks we just passed.
This day was a little windy, which I love. This adds a little edge on my side especially in dry conditions. Coues deer are also known as the "grey ghosts" for a reason. Wary X10, due to everything out in the SW trying to eat them.
So I'm glassing this old mining road (1920-30's trail). Its basically a game trail now but it funnels critters through this wooded area. After an hour I spot a nice shooter buck 3x3 (8pt) and a forkie working their way to the trail. I immediately grab my gear and quickly hurry over since they now are obscured by a little ridge. It takes me 20mins and I slowly scan ahead trying to locate any movement.
I slowly creep forward on the trail, I'm now in the immediate area when I spot the 8pt to my right slowly working its way down a steep drainage at ~45yds. Dang it too far! I was a little too late in my timing when trying to intercept them crossing the road. I am still standing there when I hear foot steps on my left. At 32yds the forkie is now standing straight on and staring at me. Probably looking for his buddy. I concentrate for the base of the neck and let her fly. The buck does a back flip and crashes thru the tangle and dies on the edge of the trail. All this in less then a minutes time. After the shot, I just knelt down and gave thanks while watching the buck expire. I knew it was a good hit but I would have never thought I would have pierced the heart. We found out later when we gutted, the BH entered just 1" left of brisket crest and through the heart. The arrow never exited.
Forever making arrows!

Offline Peacebow_Coos

Re: First Primitive WT (AZ coues).The "Whisper" bow kills.
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 12:59:20 pm »
Nice fork n' spoon, sounds like a good day congratulations, and nice shot!

Offline RabidApache

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 04:58:02 pm »
Funny thing about the bow was I almost scrapped it :laugh:. Basically I had a knot about mid limb on the back that lifted. So I chased about 2 rings to remove the splinter. Well that became 3 until finally by the fourth ring I had a solid back. My bow weight went from 58-60# to 48# after sinew backing for insurance. When comparing my 62# osage longbow, the mulberry bow is a dream to shoot and better accuracy.
At 48# the mulberry bow put a cedar arrow 26" into the buck through the brisket heart and partially through the diaphragm. Major damage.
Forever making arrows!

Offline RyanR

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 06:37:10 pm »
Congratulations. Nice deer. The light weight bows are easier to shoot consistently. 48#'s will get the job done every time with a well placed shot.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 09:17:36 pm »
Congratulations!  That looks like some rough country.  That must have been quite a challenge.  Well done sir.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2013, 09:35:12 pm »
Congrats on a good hunt! I got 12-15 mullberry staves i cut in March just waitin for them to season some.. Lookin forword to workin some for the 1st time... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2013, 09:41:25 pm »
Nice buck and a good hunt, enjoyed reading about it.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2013, 10:03:28 pm »
Congratulations on your success.  Sounds like a fine day of hunting.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Dave 55

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2013, 10:58:14 pm »
Congratulations taking a coues deer while stalking,what you gonna do next!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 11:23:46 pm by Dave 55 »
Now is the good old days

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2014, 07:23:34 am »
Congrats,enjoyed the story,thanks for sharing.Nice buck. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2014, 10:49:31 am »
Great story and very inspiring hunt!
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline lowell

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2014, 03:44:15 pm »
Very nice... congrats!!!   Good story!!
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!