Author Topic: Coolest Gift Ever  (Read 7453 times)

Offline Atlatlista

Coolest Gift Ever
« on: November 03, 2013, 02:02:26 am »
Today my PhD advisor gave me this Hadza bow, along with three arrows. 

The bow has a pretty hefty draw weight, though I haven't had a chance to measure it yet, it gets very stiff very quickly.  The string is twisted giraffe tendon.  The tufts of hair come from a warthog.  This bow was made by a man who unfortunately was killed by poachers last year.

The arrows are fletched with either vulture feathers or guinea fowl feathers in the traditional hadza fletching style, except for the bird arrow (the one with a simple sharp wood point), which is fletched with whole guinea fowl wing weathers in a style which is growing more popular, especially for small game arrows.  It's hard to see here, and I'll get a better picture later, but the vulture fletched ones use a 5 feather fletch, which I've never seen before.

The points are of three major types, and I have one of each here.  The plain wooden one is used for shooting birds and dikdiks, and is just resharpened as needed.  So, they start long and tend to get shorter over time.  This one was snagged by my advisor before it could be used too much.  The one with the giant point (middle arrow) is called a "kasama" and it is used for hunting small-medium sized game, basically anything up to a gazelle in size.  The barbed point is a poisoned arrow (though the glob of poison has been lost).  It also has blood staining the shaft, from a zebra, I think he said.  The barbed point is made by cold-forging a 6 inch nail into two separate barbed points.  It's pretty awesome.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 02:07:47 am by Atlatlista »
So men who are free
Love the old yew tree
And the land where the yew tree grows.

Offline steve b.

Re: Coolest Gift Ever
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 02:48:27 am »
Really nice!

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 05:03:34 am »
Very interesting...
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Jodocus

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 05:12:10 am »
Cool stuff, the hair on the bow looks fantastic!
Don't shoot!

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 05:15:20 am »
love the idea of girraffe tendons. you could probably have a bunch  of sinew running the whole length of a bow!
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline J05H

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, 06:17:53 am »
Very cool!!!
If you never have time to do it right, you'll always have time to do it over.

blackhawk

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2013, 08:09:25 am »
Cool..love the looks of that stuff  8)

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2013, 08:54:59 am »
Now that is primitive!     Very nice collection of gear, real treasures and a cool gift for certain.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2013, 09:08:07 am »
Absolutely awesome gift to get! I need some better friends I guess! 
John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2013, 10:17:50 am »
 8)

Offline Josh B

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2013, 10:27:57 am »
Really cool stuff!  Josh

Offline Atlatlista

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2013, 10:53:09 am »
He gave it to me specifically to use in experiments shooting carcasses to assess the damage to bones caused by the arrow points.  We want to see if there is anything diagnostic about an arrow hit that differs from other kinds of damage normally visible in the faunal record.  But now I'm loathe to shoot it, as it is at least 2 years old and has never been unstrung and I would hate to break it.  But he tells me not to worry as when we go visit the Hadza over the summer, I'll be able to bring back several bows if I really want and plenty of arrows.  We'll see if I'm able to limit myself to "several"...
So men who are free
Love the old yew tree
And the land where the yew tree grows.

Offline DuBois

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2013, 11:20:34 am »
Man, that is awesome stuff. If you can't limit yourself to several and you have too many, I will gladly help take some of the burden  ;)

Offline Eric Garza

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2013, 01:10:27 pm »
Do you know what wood the bow is made from?

Offline seminolewind

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2013, 01:19:14 pm »
Ummm yeah....I'm Jealous that is awesome !
"Those that beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not." Thomas Jefferson

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.