Author Topic: apple wwod  (Read 1970 times)

Offline pincushin

apple wwod
« on: November 01, 2013, 12:22:14 pm »
 does apple make a decent bow wood. in my town we recently had a prity nasty snow storm that broke a bunch of our apple trees :( but theres some nice long pieces

Offline Slackbunny

Re: apple wwod
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 12:29:06 pm »
I've read that it definitely can be. My problem has been finding a piece that splits straight. Every piece I've used has twisted itself all to heck. But I'd still give it a go if the logs are free and accessible.

Offline adb

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 01:10:47 pm »
If you can find a piece long enough and straight enough, it's good. Wide and flat... treat it like a whitewood. I did a crab apple self bow a long while back. Do a forum search... I'm sure there'd be more than one here.

Offline campx

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 01:39:28 pm »
If you can find a piece long enough and straight enough, it's good. Wide and flat... treat it like a whitewood. I did a crab apple self bow a long while back. Do a forum search... I'm sure there'd be more than one here.
I just did a tiny apple wood bow for my 5yr old daughter, hybrid pyramid/molle type thing, worked out awesome.....seems like a good wood to me.
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,42756.msg573429.html#msg573429

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 04:04:02 pm »
I'd seal the ends and leave it in a log to dry. May not twist as bad
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline Aussie Yeoman

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013, 04:52:35 pm »
I made a bow from a branch I judiciously pruned from an apple tree. As such it ended up being essentially a sapling bow. But it turned out great and compared to the usual hardwoods here, it was like carving butter to tiller.
Articles for the beginning bowyer, with Australian bowyers in mind:

http://www.tharwavalleyforge.com/articles/tutorials

Offline pincushin

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2013, 05:50:15 pm »
thanks for the kind advice

Offline rps3

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2013, 06:04:16 pm »
I made one out of crabapple, it took a bit of set, I will temper my next attempt. Still, it is a sweet shooting bow and looks great.
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,37866.0.html
Have a look if you like.

Online Hamish

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2013, 08:15:10 pm »
Don't leave apple as a  log, it will really check and split. If the grain is straight, it will split straight.
If it doesn't split straight it was never going to make a bow any way. Look at the bark for clues to the straightness of the grain. 
None of the apple I've split twisted during drying either(large logs,not brances or saplings). Checking was the only problem, so seal the underbark surface with a couple of coats of glue when you take the bark off.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2013, 10:00:07 pm »
Just finished a crabapple bow today. Great tension wood. Took a bit if set but the next one I will heat treat and that should take care of that.
Very good, fast shooting wood.
Clatskanie, Oregon

mikekeswick

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2013, 05:10:43 am »
Don't leave apple as a  log, it will really check and split. If the grain is straight, it will split straight.
If it doesn't split straight it was never going to make a bow any way. Look at the bark for clues to the straightness of the grain. 
None of the apple I've split twisted during drying either(large logs,not brances or saplings). Checking was the only problem, so seal the underbark surface with a couple of coats of glue when you take the bark off.

+1