Author Topic: 45# ELB dimmensions?  (Read 9486 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: 45# ELB dimmensions?
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2013, 07:48:07 am »
Pine is junk Will, everybody knows that.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2013, 07:51:00 am »
There are quite a few woods known as mahogany - none of which make great bows IMO.
It's likely to be sapelle. Where did you get it from.

I got it from a builders warehouse for around £10. I've compared it to my mahogany flatbow and the colour and grain are the same.  Whats "sapelle"
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2013, 08:09:37 am »
Do not use that unknown hardwood for ELBs. Just don't. It will fail. And the backing is too thin. Get proper materials before even considering making a bow that you want to sell. You're breaking down your own business.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline WillS

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2013, 08:37:04 am »

I can't work out if you knew I was joking or not anymore...

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2013, 11:13:51 am »
Pine also has a tendency to catch up on door frames.  No good at all.

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2013, 11:20:24 am »

I can't work out if you knew I was joking or not anymore...

Isn't everybody???

Offline adb

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2013, 11:32:49 am »
You know, Bowslayer, for someone who said he was leaving and not coming back, you're at it again. With only a 2 week time out, you're back on the forum stirring up a shit-storm with ridiculous statements. I don't understand. Please reconsider making someone else a bow for money, before someone gets hurt. No offense, but I don't think you have enough experience to be selling your bows yet, especially made from a wood that you can't identify. Good grief man, stop and think!

Offline wood_bandit99

• Shoot straight my friends!!
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2013, 12:41:36 pm »
I agree with everybody. BUT they can't stop you. That's not to say you don't listen to them. They are very wise. But if you want to try, even tho you have no idea what will happen( possible KABOOM!!) but if you don't want to get new stuff and just try it, then whatever. I am not beating on you or anybody that helped you, I'm just trying to reach a conclusion where nobody simultaneously combusts because they are so pissed  :o  so if you don't want to listen do what you want. They will just give you their 2 cents and some times a little bs  ;D  they have learned from experience that it isn't a good idea to put an unknown wood that could be horrible in compression on a bow design that is very compression reliant. And that cross section is hard to master so I would say you might practice on some other bows. Just my 2 cents
Yew and osage, BEST. WOODS. EVER! Shoot straight my friends!!!

Offline wood_bandit99

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2013, 12:54:49 pm »
Why are you stopping making bows???? I thought that was impossible! Go to medicine bow woods and that guy has some nice yew staves for cheap. The guy is pretty awesome too!

Offline WillS

« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2013, 12:56:50 pm »
Except all his wood is rubbish.  Poorly seasoned, bad quality, low gpi, and not picked for bows.   The clue is in the name...

Offline wood_bandit99

« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2013, 01:03:46 pm »
Seriously?? I am going to buy some from him and have heard amazing things from people about him.  How are they poorly seasoned? How low is the gpi? He has a bunch of different quality woods. Did you buy something bad quality an not the best?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2013, 02:17:15 pm »
  so if you don't want to listen do what you want.

There is a long history of BS asking questions, getting good advice, and then ingnoring it anyway.  Almost without fail, it fails.  He is off and running with yet another hare-brained idea, which in turn he asks for advice with the same results. 

He is the very embodiment of Wile E. Coyote.  Bright, full of energy, and never short of ideas.  But he NEVER learns from a mistake, never repeats the experiment with improved materials or experience.  And thusly, he will never know the joys of a rich dish of smoked roadrunner under glass.  THAT is what frustrates so many of us to no living end!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline WillS

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2013, 04:13:39 pm »
Seriously?? I am going to buy some from him and have heard amazing things from people about him.  How are they poorly seasoned? How low is the gpi? He has a bunch of different quality woods. Did you buy something bad quality an not the best?

At best, it's a Russian Roulette.  He charges premium money for "staves" that he cut himself.  He's not a bowyer, he supplies medicine wood (taxus from yew being cancer drugs) and probably realised there are people who will pay through the teeth for some "premium" yew.  Go for it if you want, but it's a heck of a lottery.  I've been stung a couple of times by him, and learned my lesson hard.

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2013, 04:27:42 pm »
ya know what im going to take your advice. ill, make the bow as an experiment but i won't sell it to him. if he want's he can buy one of my other bows like my oak recurve or my halloween bow. they both have good tiller and have both been shot a bunch of times. ill have a talk to him. sorry if this has upset and anoyed some of you guys, i can now see how silly i was being i mean iv'e only made 1 ELB before and that was with guidence and the correct woods. thanks for the advice guys.
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline keef

« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2013, 04:40:38 pm »
Keep at it Bowslayer, but maybe don't aim to sell until you are more experienced... You really cant buddy!

You can learn a lot here if you are humble and prepared to listen. There are a lot of experienced guys here that will see you for good advice

Make and post some more bows and keep your mind open to criticism .. Believe me ,you'll get there