Author Topic: Draw ~ noob moment  (Read 2322 times)

Offline bow101

Draw ~ noob moment
« on: November 01, 2013, 03:40:53 pm »
As shown in the photo is the draw from the back of the bow or belly, don't remember that bit... ???
Between A~C or  B~C
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Draw ~ noob moment
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 03:42:40 pm »
The draw length is from the back of the bow(A) to the string nock(C)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 05:10:02 pm »
It has to be the back of the bow because depending on how the grip and the fades are designed, the belly side could be different on every bow. But the back is always the same.

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 05:58:47 pm »
Ive always measured from the belly personally... The crook of your hand to your lip, ear etc..dont change regardless of handle depth....my $.02..... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline Badger

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 06:03:35 pm »
  All the primitive guys I know including myself measure from the back of the bow. Technicaly you are supposed to measure from the deepest part of the grip and then add 1 3/4" to that distance. A typical modern recurve or longbow has a nadle that is about 1 3/4 deep at the deepest part of the grip and usually works out to be the back of the bow. But for the sake of stringent testing the deepest part of the grip plus 1 3/4" is draw length.

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013, 06:12:05 pm »
Steve..that sounds more like a way to measure arrow length to me.. really not tryin to argue, just tryin to understand.. It would seem to me that the one constant factor we have is our draw from the crook of our hands...this makes my head hurt, lol
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2013, 06:38:35 pm »
From the back as others have said.  I think the "deepest part of the grip + 1 3/4""  was an industry move trying to standardize this measurement.  My draw length (arrow length really) shortened up when I went traditional.  Draw length depends on so many factors, knocking point, grip and stance etc...  For me, what length of arrows do I need to make for them to be right for me.  I think it's that simple.  Happens to be 27 inches from the back of the bow to the string.  I could change a few things up and that distance would change some, so it's really a personal thing for each shooter which only resembles the industry standard IMO.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Badger

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2013, 06:43:48 pm »
Steve..that sounds more like a way to measure arrow length to me.. really not tryin to argue, just tryin to understand.. It would seem to me that the one constant factor we have is our draw from the crook of our hands...this makes my head hurt, lol

Koan, they basicaly do use the crook of the hand part of the bow to measure draw length, only thing is they add 1 3/4 to that to be official. When we test bows even primitive bows using a machine we use the 1 3/4 added to the crook of the hand measure to draw the 28". It mostly works out to the back of the bow for most bows.

Don Case

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2013, 08:55:53 pm »
As long as you make the measurement from the same spots braced and drawn, what difference does it make? The draw length is the difference between brace height and full draw, isn't it? Did I just stick my foot in my mouth?
Don

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2013, 09:37:25 pm »
I guess you could look at two ways. From the perspective of the bow a measurement from the back is the only constant measurement. So if you want to compare the stresses that one bow experiences compared to another in a truly accurate way, then you would need to measure from the back.

But if you are looking from the point of view of the shooter, then the arm length is the only constant measurement. I guess it just depends on what exactly you want to know, and how you want to use that information.