Author Topic: Some new squirrel killers  (Read 7955 times)

Offline david w.

Some new squirrel killers
« on: September 24, 2007, 07:12:23 pm »
I made some arrows if I ever get the nerve to squirrel hunt with my bow.

I cut some sticks and im not really sure what they are. A few were really full of white pith stuff and the bark felt weird. not weird just different. then some other stuff witch works pretty good because i've used it before but im still not sure what it is.

I made 7 arrows i fletched 6 with red ducttape.  I copied off Kegan  ;).  And on one i split the shaft and put in a feather.

for points i used nutters, .38 caliber cartriges i poked out the primer and put in a nail. someone put that on here but i forgot who, and i put on a nut then a washer for a wider margin of error.

i cut selfnocks and reinforced them with thread.

[attachment deleted by admin]
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: Some new squirrel killers
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 07:35:36 pm »
That duct tape thing is getting popular - Kegan, get a patent fast ;D. Naw, them are pretty cool David - bet they'll take a squirrel if ya can get close enough and aim small enough :). Are they still green?

When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 07:40:17 pm »
They look good ;D! How do they fly?

Offline david w.

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 07:56:46 pm »
Cowboy thet still are a little green they need to cure a little more.

kegan they fly good. really deadly on balloons ;D

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 08:12:32 pm »
David,those are some good looking arrows,they will work.I think you need to find out what the material is before you shoot them.It might not be strong enough when it dries.You want to be safe.By the way I posted about the nail in the cartridge,it looks good ,just clip the nail in the picture in half.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 08:38:49 pm »
Hey David, those green shafts will probably warp and twist as they dry. You need to let them cure, then straighten them with heat - theirs prolly other methods, I'm certainly not an authority on arras. I did make a few out of shoots - let them cure for months, used heat to straighten - but neglected to seal them, and over time they warped pretty bad (lesson learned). Eddie is right about making sure they will be stout enough, sure don't want the bow to snap em.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline david w.

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 09:50:40 pm »
i have a fan in my room so i put them there for a while they seemd to be dry enough. then  i used a candle and straightened it.

Mullet I already shot them they shoot fine but i will find out what they are

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 10:59:33 pm »
  David,That's cool.They will stay in one piece better green than when they dry.Be carefull is all I'm saying.I know from the experiance and check book.The pith in the center would make me spline it.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Kegan

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2007, 06:18:16 pm »
Usually, at least for me, I never really bother to find out exactly what something is. If goldenrod can make an arrow, then most things will ;) (or at least in my way of thinking ;D). As for striaghtening, just gather some shafts, debark then and cut them to length, then everyday go over them with a hard stick to "rub the bends out", stating at the back and striaghtening the arrow from there. Tip gleaned from Ken Wee's articles in the first few PA's :) and John McPherson's article on Primitive arrows in a more recent PA. They're easier to striaghten (especially bigger shafts) and tend to stay striaghter.

A good arrows worth a hundred good bows :).

Offline david w.

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2007, 06:58:24 pm »
ok kegan i will try to straighten them that way. :) i would like to try a goldenrod arrows. how big does the goldenrod have to be?

thanks for all the compliments

Minuteman

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2007, 12:12:57 pm »
David you need to cut your goldenrod this time of year, like now. They will end up a little smaller then their existing size from drying and debarking. So you wanna cut them bigger than you want the finished arrow to be.You wanna let them dry first before you scrape off the bark otherwise they'll check on you and they'll be no good 'cept for drills and firestarting spindles.
 Put the lower end( bigger end ) in the front of the arrow.
 The stalks should still have some green in 'em when cut. Too brown and they've already started to rot. Better to cut them early as late. We had a real dry summer here so all the golden rod is kinda smaller than normal. Haven't found many arrow size plants.
 They WILL shoot through a deer with a trade point up front!

Offline david w.

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2007, 06:13:39 pm »
thank you minuteman i wll definately do that

shootinbud

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2007, 09:49:04 pm »
the mystery material with the funny bark and white pith material may be tree of china aka china berry tree

Offline david w.

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2007, 01:28:46 pm »
does the tree of china have little red berries on it?

Lilmoosecountry

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2007, 03:36:21 pm »
I made some arrows if I ever get the nerve to squirrel hunt with my bow.

I cut some sticks and im not really sure what they are. A few were really full of white pith stuff and the bark felt weird. not weird just different. then some other stuff witch works pretty good because i've used it before but im still not sure what it is.

I made 7 arrows i fletched 6 with red ducttape.  I copied off Kegan  ;).  And on one i split the shaft and put in a feather.

for points i used nutters, .38 caliber cartriges i poked out the primer and put in a nail. someone put that on here but i forgot who, and i put on a nut then a washer for a wider margin of error.

i cut selfnocks and reinforced them with thread.
That would be me!!! That is something i have been doing since i was shooting wheelie bows. They hit just like a blunt. But you get penetration as well. Try grinding Avery sharp point on them. So they are like a needle.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 03:39:19 pm by Lilmoosecountry »