Author Topic: West coast short bow  (Read 1386 times)

Offline wood_bandit99

• Shoot straight my friends!!
West coast short bow
« on: November 01, 2013, 11:27:39 pm »
I am gonna start a short bow build about 50" long and it will be spliced in the handle with a sinew back. Wondering what dimensions I should use? I want about 50# out of it maybe more. No less than 50 tho. How long could I tiller that? Thanks
Yew and osage, BEST. WOODS. EVER! Shoot straight my friends!!!

Offline Weylin

Re: West coast short bow
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 02:30:41 am »
don't those bows usually bend through the handle? probably shouldn't do that with a spliced bow, right?

Offline wood_bandit99

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 12:24:42 pm »
Yes. The thing is I have 3 billets that are 25" long. Does anyone have any ideas I should do with them if I can't make a short bow? One is gonna be a crossbow. I thought I could make a short bow and just glue some extra wood on either side of the splice.

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 12:34:56 pm »
What kind of wood? Yeller? U could splice it and maybe get 25-27" with the sinew I'd think. Neolithic man made a static handled short osage bow. 52" I think at 28" draw. So maybe u can do it? Never know till u try
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline wood_bandit99

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2013, 12:45:57 pm »
Ya it is sage. I also need to know how to process sinew. I've never done it before so how do you process it and what tools do I need. I will be painting it too. It doesn't have to look as nice as some of these guys sinew backings.

Offline WillS

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2013, 12:55:41 pm »
Just a tip - you can make a spliced bendy handle.  Done properly a good splice join is stronger than the surrounding wood, so no reason it should stay stiff.  There are bowyers over here in the UK who are making spliced full compass warbows...

Offline wood_bandit99

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2013, 01:00:34 pm »
Wow. I am kinda scared tho. I will try it just to test my skills  ;D how should I splice it? I was thinking z splice. How do you guys get them to fit perfectly? Ive heard you cut it out and sand until perfect fit. Thank you guys for the comments!