Author Topic: Borers  (Read 2797 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Borers
« on: October 31, 2013, 06:37:02 pm »
 I finally got back to cleaning up some osage staves that I cut this spring.  I have soaked them several times with bug killer.  I guess it wasn't enough.  I found some the other day on a stave and today when I started removing the bark I find this

I ended up pulling 5 out of one end of the stave.  I hate these little things.  Luckily they didn't go very deep.  They didn't make it past the first heart wood ring.  I need to hurry and clean up the rest of them before they destroy them.  This is why I like to remove the bark and sapwood before storing staves.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Danzn Bar

Re: Borers
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 06:48:56 pm »
 :o  Your saving those aren't you??  They look like they'd make some great monster bluegill bait..... ;D ;D ;D
I know it's hunting season  ;)
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 06:50:01 pm »
You'd better send me some of those to help you get those cleaned up before they are all ruined.  ;D
A friend sent me a couple where they'd gotten about 3 rings into some nice thick ringed heartwood. They worked out fine but I never thought they went that deep before seeing it.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 07:17:47 pm »
 That sucks im glad I haven't had to deal with those wood eating devils yet
I like osage

Offline Poggins

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 07:26:09 pm »
I had to soak some staves a couple more times through the summer , and I still see dust piles on a few billets . When I sprayed them the first time I hade the staves completely wet where they were dripping on the floor .
During the spring I was working outside at night right after a small rain shower had came through and there were hundreds of the little beatles on a pile of osage wood that I saved back for firewood , a propane torch took care of them .

Offline TRACY

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 08:54:37 pm »
I personally like to run the draw knife right through those little sobs  >:D Sounds like you caught them early. You need to have a draw knife party and get it all skinned out.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 09:31:08 pm »
I pulled them all out and then roasted them with a lighter  >:D

Hunting is slowing down a little for me and the wife is back to work so I'll have more time in the shop to get the rest of them processed properly. 

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2013, 09:39:15 pm »
Kill them little buggers Clint, show them no mercy. ;D ;D
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2013, 10:46:28 pm »
You'd better send me some of those

You send him some of those borers, Clint, and I'll pay the postage!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2013, 11:21:37 pm »
Oooohhh ......how I hate those little boogers!  They do make good bait though.  My son caught  his first channel cat on one last year.  Check out this monster!  Lol!  As you can tell, he wasn't near as excited about it as I was.   Josh

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2013, 11:31:37 pm »
You'd better send me some of those

You send him some of those borers, Clint, and I'll pay the postage!

I'll kill'em all. We don't have any around here. They must not like the climate or the atmosphere.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2013, 07:37:17 am »
Ya I hate them also,bug spray don't always work that is for sure,sometimes I think they get fat on the stuff. :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2013, 02:32:19 pm »
When I mix my bug spray it is so strong the EPA would probably file a suit against me if they knew I was turning the stuff loose in the environment. No bugs so far but my favorite method is to remove the bark and sapwood as soon as I get the staves split green, this is the only sure fire way to prevent infestations.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2013, 09:14:17 pm »
Eric normally I take all my staves down to heartwood and seal them.  I agree that is the best way to do it.  I just didn't have time to finish them all when I cut them.  I'm finally getting the time to take care of them.  Good news, so far I haven't found any more.  I know I'll find more before I'm done though.

Offline seabass

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2013, 06:30:20 am »
good luck Clint.i hope you don't find any more.
Middletown,Ohio