Author Topic: Cleaned out  (Read 9435 times)

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
Re: Cleaned out
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2013, 04:25:39 pm »
JW, Chit chur has changed hasn't it? Remember the days when you used to go to the barber shop or the drug store and they had a counter check for every bank in the county and you just told them which one you wanted to write one on? Damned internet seems to have changed everything. I've often thought about given this damned thing the boot but even at my old age I'd be like a lost puppy.
Hope you recoup and they catch the bastards.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2013, 05:11:50 pm »
I had a scare not so long ago. I went to use my card, and it didn't work. I knew I had money there, but couldn't get it to work. Tried to get on my online banking when I got home, but I couldn't get into that either. I went in to the bank to get it all sorted, and it turns out that I had used my card at a location where skimmers or other devices had been used to steal information, so the bank locked down my account for my own protection. It was a bit of a pain in the ass, but it may have saved my cash.

I wish you a speedy resolution to your issues.

Online JW_Halverson

« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2013, 10:09:08 pm »
They had racked up less than $15 in charges before my bank shut them down. 

However, I decided to open another checking account at this bank and not link it to ANY of my other accounts.  It will hold only $25 in order to keep the account open and I will make a cash deposit to the account for the exact amount only of whatever I am going to purchase online.  The only thing I can imagine happened is that the computer at work is compromised and that is how they got my two accounts.  It's the only computer where I have used both cards to make purchases online.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2013, 10:22:12 pm »
Well now....isn't that just lovely! If you get a location on these lowlifes, I'll go pick em up for you and deliver em right to your door JW!  I wonder if they would repent their evil ways if they were trussed up with chunks of meat stuck all over em and locked in a room full of hungry raptors ?!?!  That'd learn em a thing or two!  Josh

Online JW_Halverson

« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2013, 10:25:05 pm »
Well now....isn't that just lovely! If you get a location on these lowlifes, I'll go pick em up for you and deliver em right to your door JW!  I wonder if they would repent their evil ways if they were trussed up with chunks of meat stuck all over em and locked in a room full of hungry raptors ?!?!  That'd learn em a thing or two!  Josh

I'll get 'em with the little 5 oz. male screech owl we call Wolfie.  He nailed my thumb today with his tiny little talons and all four went straight to the bone!  Maybe not their thumb, but you get the idea.

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2013, 11:23:16 pm »
Maybe not their thumb huh?  ;D
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2013, 11:27:31 pm »
Oooouch!  Makes me want to repent just thinking about it and I ain't even the guilty party!  Well...not guilty in this case anyway. >:D. Josh

Offline iowabow

« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2013, 07:12:03 am »
Sorry to hear it JW.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2013, 09:02:02 am »
Scary that some dirt bags can do this type of thing to a person. You can work hard and be smart about your finances
yet still get burned. Hope it all gets worked out in your favor somehow John, I feel for ya brother, it's simply just not right.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Online JW_Halverson

« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2013, 01:48:26 pm »
I have everything back, all card numbers have been changed, no debit card account has anything more than a nominal amount of money in it, and I now have online banking set up so that I can transfer money from savings into the checking account quickly in case I need to run a charge larger than a grocery run. 

My bank explained that their policy of not automatically transferring from savings to checking to cover overdrafts will protect the savings accounts from getting the Dracula treatment, too.  Good.

I now suspect that purchases I made from the computer here at work are where the whole crap-toast event started.  It obviously has spyware and malware choking it, but the store owner is tighter than bull's butt in fly season and won't replace it as long as it will turn on.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2013, 08:38:04 pm »
Glad you came out OK !!
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline stickbender

« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2013, 12:15:13 am »

Les Guillotine!! >:(  Les Guillotine! >:(
 Glad you got it back.  Just the reason, I don't do any banking on my computer.  I have excellent protection from such, but so does the CIA, and they have been hacked multiple times.
I have Trend Micro, as my main protection, but have another one also.  But I had Norton "once", and it said it had detected a problem and taken care of it.  Yep, it took care of it.  it took to where ever in my computer it wanted to go.  Took almost an hour on the phone with Microsoft, to get it cleared out.  Probably some little 14 yr. having fun.  Good thing I didn't have a clue who the little #@@% was, it would take quite few years before his little fingers would be able to operate a key board!  Glad you were able to recover your losses.

Wayne

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2013, 02:19:04 pm »
Glad it worked out for you in the end. This happened to my wife a couple years ago, she went to check her account and somebody was burning it up in Miami, Florida, and St. Louis Missouri at the same time. She got her money back, but it took several days of aggravation and being broke before she got it back.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline 4dog

« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2013, 08:53:59 am »
glad it worked out for ya..and yet one more reason i dont use credit cards.
"SET" is always there !!!