Author Topic: Arrrrgh . . . violated osage rings . . . badly  (Read 4947 times)

Offline smoke

Arrrrgh . . . violated osage rings . . . badly
« on: October 28, 2013, 06:59:12 pm »
Well . . . no excuses, I had a really nice osage stave but in chasing a ring, I very badly violated a ring before I caught on.   (use proper lighting!)  The trouble is, there isn't enough wood to go another ring down . . . so, if I decide to use this stave, can I do so if I back it with sinew?  I think I can get a good 60 inch bow about 1.5 inches at the fades . . . but would like something in the 60# at 27 range.  Thoughts?  thanks all

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
Re: Arrrrgh . . . violated osage rings . . . badly
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 07:37:49 pm »
Smoke, you should be ok if backing it depending on what you mean by badly> I severely cut into the back of a bow with my drawknife about 1/2 or more into the ring but stopped in time so as not to cause any tear out. On that bow I used Loctite to glue the piece back down and then sanded it adding some osage dust to build it up and feathered it in smoothly to leave the gouge area slightly raised. Then I rawhide backed it just for insurance.

If you actually removed an entire ring in an area I don't know what to tell you. I've no experience with that yet.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline artcher1

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 07:48:49 pm »
Where is the violation located? Center, middle of the limb or ends?          Art

Offline wood_bandit99

• Shoot straight my friends!!
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 09:04:49 pm »
I built a d bow that is 56" long 55# @ 26" and it has 5 different rings on the back. It is violated the whole way and I actually tillered it like that all the way then glued some cotton bed sheets on it. That thing is SOOOOOOOO fast!!!!!!!!!
Yew and osage, BEST. WOODS. EVER! Shoot straight my friends!!!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 09:28:15 pm »
You still have a good chance of pulling this one out of the fire.  I can send you a piece of rawhide to patch over the spot, along with a deet back sinew to make transitional wraps at either end of the patch. 

If you put the patch on the blow-out and really go easy and slow on the tillering, you can probably get full draw before doing the wraps. (WARNING: I have never done a short patch on a violated growthring, consequently might be blowing smoke.)

Alternatively, if you want to play a little on the safe side, send me a private message.  I might be able to hook you up with a pair of antelope rawhide strips so you can do both limbs.

-John
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 09:29:02 pm »
I built a d bow that is 56" long 55# @ 26" and it has 5 different rings on the back. It is violated the whole way and I actually tillered it like that all the way then glued some cotton bed sheets on it. That thing is SOOOOOOOO fast!!!!!!!!!

Who would think that a bow backed with bedsheets would be fast.  I guess that's what you call a "sleeper".
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline wood_bandit99

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 09:42:55 pm »
They were thin. It is so fast tho. I haven't chronograped it yet but that thing SPITS arrows. It was a bow I set up to fail just to test but it was a huge success.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 09:49:09 pm »
They were thin. It is so fast tho. I haven't chronograped it yet but that thing SPITS arrows. It was a bow I set up to fail just to test but it was a huge success.

You should post it on here so we can see it
I like osage

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2013, 11:36:38 pm »
As long as the transition is smooth, there shouldn't be a problem. My favorite osage bow has violations. Has over 1000 shots through it.

But if your that insecure about it. Rawhide patch that spot, or the whole bow.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline wood_bandit99

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2013, 11:42:39 pm »

You should post it on here so we can see it

I have been and am busy with hunting and school and the basketball team so I'm planning on getting caught up in the winter. That will be the first one posted I assure you ;D

blackhawk

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2013, 07:25:09 am »
Sure..you can break "rules" in bow making sometimes and get away with it,but when ya do ya run a much higher risk of the bow breaking...and I'd rather give myself the best possible chance at success.... there's a reason why plenty of seasoned veterans and experiences guys preach a clean one non violated ring as the back of your bow....

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2013, 07:29:21 am »
You say you don't have room to, but Id go down another ring and change the style accordingly. Unless the violation is at the handle or 3-4" from tips, otherwise your osage bow has a short shelf life.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2013, 07:32:16 am »
Same question as artcher1 ??? smoke where is the violation at. Wood_Bandit99 Pinecone yall are lucky guys, :-\ never had much luck with ring violations on Osage or anything else except maybe Yew if  it is in the working part of the limb,and also never set one up to fail. ??? :-\
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2013, 07:38:36 am »
Coming from somebody that has bows older than us, Im buying it pappy.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline wood_bandit99

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2013, 09:15:51 am »
Same question as artcher1 ??? smoke where is the violation at. Wood_Bandit99 Pinecone yall are lucky guys, :-\ never had much luck with ring violations on Osage or anything else except maybe Yew if  it is in the working part of the limb,and also never set one up to fail. ??? :-\
   Pappy

Haha I couldn't get a growth ring on the bow because of how tiny it was so I just scraped off the polyurethane off the back and went from there. That thing was about .75" deep and 1" wide.