Author Topic: Shoots Question  (Read 1924 times)

Offline knapperhead

Shoots Question
« on: October 28, 2013, 04:51:17 pm »
May be a dumb question but are y'all referring to shoots that grow away from the tree or the suckers that grow around the base?
 Thanks

Offline artcher1

Re: Shoots Question
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 06:17:29 pm »
Hardwood shoots are new growth sprouts from trees or stumps. But there are many sources of what we call shoot material. Anything from scrubs/bushes, small saplings, cane, bamboo etc., that suitable for arrow material.........Art

Offline Buck67

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 11:54:43 am »
I have found that Green Ash has lots of straight shoots that come out of the branches.  Basswood has shoots that come up out of old stumps.  Red Osier shoots come up right out of the ground about the length of an arrow before the first branch.

So to my way of thinking a shoot is anything that is strong enough, long enough, straight enough and knot free enough to make an arrow.

Offline knapperhead

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 11:07:39 pm »
thanks for the replies...............gonna look around tomorrow and see what is available.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 11:51:13 pm »
Where do you live, khead? That might help us suggest what type of shoot shafting is available to you.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 09:59:30 am »
I just so happened to be gathering arrow material today and I read the question thinking "huh i dont know that either" thanks for a good question, and everyones responses. I figured shoots were off of a main stump/tree and anything standing free was a sapling. I gathered witch hazle saplings and a few cherry and ash too. calling them all shoots works for me!
John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!

Offline knapperhead

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 10:02:04 am »
Mr. Pat, I live on the eastern edge of the Texas hill country. I have limestone hills to my left and blackland prarie to my right.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2013, 10:35:27 am »
You probably have switch of river cane down there. I know there is privet(non-ntive) and possibly one of the shrub type dogwoods(silky, redosier, rough leaf, alternafolia). Look for multi-stemmed shrubs or trees that naturally sucker at their base or in the canopy.
 When harvesting shoots you want to be sure you cut only 2nd year growth or older. You can usually tell 2nd year growth by the small branches that grow where last years leaves fell off and nt just shoots with leaves. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline knapperhead

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2013, 11:46:19 am »
Thank you Pat..... I have some trees in the canyon behind me that look like some sort of Cherry, Live oak, Scrub oak and cedars.
I bought some bamboo at Home Depot yesterday and following Tenbrook's build along. Excellent build along!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2013, 12:02:09 pm »
Black cherry works well for arrows but you have to keep straightening them.
 Does salt cedar grow there. It is an invasive exotic that takes over the areas that it grows. It does, however, make very good, heavy arrows.

Offline knapperhead

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2013, 02:17:32 pm »
I think these are mountain juniper and they are everywhere.....

Offline knapperhead

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2013, 05:18:23 pm »
New growth from a red oak stump. Might be a couple arrows in there?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2013, 06:22:33 pm »
I've never tried red oak or any oak for that matter. I have tried poplar shoots but their diameter was too big when I got the right spine.