Author Topic: Tiller check please  (Read 1475 times)

Offline Marks

Tiller check please
« on: November 01, 2013, 01:44:33 am »
It looks good to me but I broke my first attempt and yall said it was stiff in the outer third so I'm gonna get a second opinion on my second attempt. I got a feeling this one is the same way
Right now it is 40# at 19" osage pyramid bow. The brace pic is about 4"

Offline steve b.

Re: Tiller check please
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 03:25:46 am »
It looks even and smoothly arcing.  A little tough to tell but it looks like your fades+ are moving.  I think I'd want them stiff at this stage.

My advice would be to make sure your camera is right in front of the bow, not off to the side, and post pics of the bow in the tree unstrung, strung, and then drawn so one can compare the pics to each other.

mikekeswick

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 04:09:23 am »
It looks good alround to me.
A good trick is to trace the backs shape now onto something long enough. Then every time you un-string it put it back against the original profile shape and you can then see exactly what set it has taken and where. If the set isn't even then the place with the most set is the weakest part. Tiller accordingly.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 07:25:34 am »
Looks pretty darn good to me,I would go ahead and get it to full brace and look again.Slow and easy from here on,probably in the mid to upper 50's @ 26 now.
Maybe a little more. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 10:14:37 am »
Looks good to me too. Just take your time. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Marks

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013, 10:51:34 am »
Looks pretty darn good to me,I would go ahead and get it to full brace and look again.Slow and easy from here on,probably in the mid to upper 50's @ 26 now.
Maybe a little more. :)
   Pappy

I tell you what, maybe I'm a little wuss but I could barely brace it at that brace height. haha. I haven't perfected my technique yet apparently.  I haven't really decided on a final weight yet. My first bow was going for 45#. Being my first bow I didn't want to go too high but I want reasonable hunting weight. I'm thinking I'll shoot for 45-50# again. So far I don't notice any set. I'm trying to exercise the limbs a bunch more than the last time which is easier since I built that sorry excuse for a tillering tree.

Offline wood_bandit99

• Shoot straight my friends!!
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2013, 11:05:01 am »
i think you would want it stiffer next to the fades. i would say get the outer half bending more. it looks a little stiff there and bending too much in the inner 1/4 or so.
Yew and osage, BEST. WOODS. EVER! Shoot straight my friends!!!