Author Topic: Probs with glue up  (Read 2964 times)

Offline wood_bandit99

• Shoot straight my friends!!
Probs with glue up
« on: October 28, 2013, 09:40:51 pm »
I went a little ghetto and took tb2 and glued that delaminated longbow my friend gave me and laminated it. The ghetto part is I took it and took b50 and wrapped it around until it was tight then clamped it into the shape I wanted, all on my lap. The glue has little air pockets on the edges. Can I just fill that in? It has gaps on the eves of the limb but not through the whole limb just on the edge. Could I fill them with some more tb2?
Yew and osage, BEST. WOODS. EVER! Shoot straight my friends!!!

Offline adb

Re: Probs with glue up
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 09:46:18 pm »
TB glue works at the molecular level for bonding, so 'filling in the holes' won't do much.

Offline wood_bandit99

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 09:59:58 pm »
Can u sand the glue off bamboo without harming it?

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 10:02:16 pm »
I'm hoping you're actually repairing the bow, and not breaking it down even more, while you're testing new procedures with her as a guinea pig...

So you 'clamped' the glue-up by wrapping it in B50? Hm, not's not the best way to go. You want to press the laminates together, not keeping them together.
Are those air bubbles really in between the laminates, or more on the edge of the glue that was oozing out? Best case scenario is that you can scrape off this excess glue, that contains the air bubbles.
Titebond glues are NOT gap filling at all. Bubbles or gaps between the lams usually mean the end of the project, as far as I'm concerned. You should have spent more time on proper surface preparation, doing a dry run and using a proven clamping method.

Post some pictures of the bow and her problems. Pics always help.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline wood_bandit99

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 11:39:19 pm »
I pressed them together and just wrapped b50 on it to keep it from sliding like people do with ace bandage. This bow doesn't have air bubbles but more gaps where the glue pressed out too much right on the edge. It just has holes that you could barely fit a tip of a toothpick in. By far the glue is the least of this bows probs. the bow was forgot about in a dirty shed for like 5 years or something so I don't know if it dry or rotted at all and he supposedly tillered it then it delaminated but there are areas near the fades where a huge hinge would be because it gets thin. We will have to see. If I made one it would be much better because the whole design of this one is probably the worst one possible. It is roman arch cross section 1.5" wide 60" long bamboo backed red oak. Pretty bad design. Should be wider and more square compared to a English cross section to decrease string follow. We will see if it blows or folds :o I don't have much hope for this one.

Offline adb

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 11:54:14 pm »
Seems like you're spending a lot of time and energy on something that's not worth it.

Offline wood_bandit99

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 12:30:43 am »
Part of the fun! See if it works. If it does, sweet. If it doesn't, it's not wasted time on my part and I don't care. I can investigate why it broke. I seriously glued it with 5 minute prep, 20 min glue up, and 5 min clean up. Right after school 30 min isn't very long and didn't take much energy. It's all fun. I will at least attempt something. I have tons of time usually so it's not wasted it's just learning and physical activity.  8)

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, 07:59:57 am »
You're not even sure if the wood is red oak, so how can you determine that it was badly designed?

Spending an extra hour on proper preparation prior to the glue-up, you would have increased your chances of succeeding tenfold.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline adb

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2013, 11:02:35 am »
Part of the fun! See if it works. If it does, sweet. If it doesn't, it's not wasted time on my part and I don't care. I can investigate why it broke. I seriously glued it with 5 minute prep, 20 min glue up, and 5 min clean up. Right after school 30 min isn't very long and didn't take much energy. It's all fun. I will at least attempt something. I have tons of time usually so it's not wasted it's just learning and physical activity.  8)

Is it a race??

Offline wood_bandit99

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2013, 11:14:26 am »
no it was simple

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2013, 11:23:49 am »
No, filling gaps with TB doesn't work to hot. What Ive learned from hurried, crappy glue ups Ive done? They explode with great energy at about 2/3 draw usually.

I respect your vigor and energy, but keep in mind its been done already. That's why old guys like me tell you not to do it that way. Its not because we are a bunch of pompous jerks on PA as some would like to make us out to be, its because we've been there and patronizing poor efforts never helped a soul. Can you tell Im not the "fuzzy, warm" type? :) 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2013, 11:38:23 am »
Never met one of those warm n' fuzzy types I learned much from.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2013, 12:36:06 pm »
No, filling gaps with TB doesn't work to hot. What Ive learned from hurried, crappy glue ups Ive done? They explode with great energy at about 2/3 draw usually.

I respect your vigor and energy, but keep in mind its been done already. That's why old guys like me tell you not to do it that way. Its not because we are a bunch of pompous jerks on PA as some would like to make us out to be, its because we've been there and patronizing poor efforts never helped a soul. Can you tell Im not the "fuzzy, warm" type? :)

i always saw you as a big teddy bear chris, i know your warm and fuzzy on the inside lol

Offline wood_bandit99

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2013, 01:04:36 am »
Just pulled it out of the form. It looks good. What I thought were holes in the glue were nicks in the wood on the edges that made it look like it had dry spots. It was a good glue up and now I start tillering.