Author Topic: First Board bow  (Read 3140 times)

Offline KrisDelger

• Just another guy breaking sticks
First Board bow
« on: October 24, 2013, 04:19:39 pm »
Well since I've tried uploading this 3 times now lets hope the third time it the charm.
This is the first board bow I've managed to have not explode on my tillering tree (Yippy) realizing that all wood bows are a lot harder to make than fiberglass bows but hell it's an addictive process.
Alrighty so here goes: bow is 68" TtT and 66"NtN wood is red oak rubbed down with a 50/50 mix of dark walnut danish oil and shellac, backed with fiber glass sheet rock tape (I know I know booo) The tiller is a little bit wonky but it shoots sweet with zero handshock (This is the first bow I've ever shot off the knuckle) Unfortunately it took 3 1/2" of set during tillering but it's still plenty fast. It's currently pulling 49# at 28" which is 1 pound lower than my target weight. The string is a flemish twist D50 served with nylon.
Well guys let me know what you think, feel free to be harsh  :P
Just a young guy with a filing cabinet for a memory and a whole lot of useless information.

Offline KrisDelger

Re: First Board bow
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 04:38:56 pm »

Just a young guy with a filing cabinet for a memory and a whole lot of useless information.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 04:48:29 pm »
Your smoothness comes from the fades not moving creating a long riser effect. Your 3.5" of set comes from the same thing. You need to get the first 8-10" off the handle bending next time around. Keep at it!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline KrisDelger

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 05:05:41 pm »
Kind of figured it wasn't bending enough near the handle, the next one is already sitting on my bench waiting, I'm going to try and reflex the tips and thin out the fades more.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 05:07:01 pm »
Well not being harsh but Your outter limbs are a tad stiff and inner fades aren't working at all. Almost all of your bend is mid limb which is the obvious reason for the ton of string follow
I like osage

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 05:19:46 pm »
Hey Kris I suggest reworking your bow. Truth be told? It wont last long as is. It would be great practice to get them fades working and the last 8-10" a bit more as Joe said. I don't want to tell you its no good as is, that's harsh. It just has a very limited shelf life you could say.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline KrisDelger

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 05:28:53 pm »
I was already thinking of working the fades down but I'm not quite sure yet. Will it drop more of the draw weight if I do?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 05:30:58 pm »
It will lose weight, but keep in mind it will lose ALL its weight sooner than later.. ;)

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2013, 05:33:00 pm »
It will drop your wieght but you can shorten it abit to get some back(and your bow will live a longer life ;))... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2013, 08:14:00 pm »
Kris,
I agree with Pearl and Koan, My first three or four bows I did the same thing.  They came out with less draw weight, and I shortened some, used a couple for the kids to play with too.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2013, 09:43:18 pm »
if you can get red oak to bend like that without breaking you got a bright future ahead of you 8). I agree with others need to get more the limb working. have fun with number 2

Offline VicNova

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2013, 11:28:02 pm »
hey man great first bow! It took me a while before I actually started getting an eye for correct tiller. Keep at it and they will get better :)
Ypsilanti,  Michigan

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2013, 12:25:42 am »
Yikes, that is a hingy bow. You need one of these for your  next bow.

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=125;t=001047#000000

Offline KrisDelger

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2013, 12:46:27 am »
I made a few of these tillering gizmo's actually the problem being I just re-did my whole shop and they were packed away somewhere. The next one will be better :P

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2013, 07:56:32 am »
Agree with what the others said,get it bending more toward the fads and shorten to pick up some weight,I think it's Del that calls that a square tiller. ;)Laugh every time he says that. ;) :) :) These guy are so funny,they make my morning[square tiller and Yikes.]  ;D ;D  Not laughing at you/been there ,done that, so please don't take it wrong,it's just the things these guys say and the way they say it. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good