Author Topic: Projects & Brian Melton  (Read 4367 times)

Offline Knocker

• Tumwater, Washington
Projects & Brian Melton
« on: December 09, 2007, 02:04:47 pm »
Thanks to Brian Melton, I have a bunch of new projects.   ;D  I previously posted a photo of some Vine Maple I had collected, and Brian commented that I would have a tough time with those staves.  He also invited me to go collecting with him, and since he is less than an hour away, I took him up on the offer.

Not only did Brian help me find some nice wood, but he really went the extra mile to help a newbie.  He told me it's much easier to find billet lengths, took me out to his shop, and demonstrated how to create a splice with some scrap wood.  He gave me a beautiful piece of IPE and a matched piece of Bamboo that he had planed.  He gave me a shorty bow that he had roughed out of Vine Maple.  It has a lot of natural recurve - he said it would be a challenge for me - and I am guessing I'll learn some lessons  ::) about tillering from it.

The attached photo shows all my loot!  The IPE and Bamboo are on the left, and then the shorty out of Vine Maple.  Next is a take down I have started out of Cascara billets, and a stave (We split it in the field) of Cascara.  The next is Hazel, and the last three are Vine Maple billets and a stave.  I was amazed to find so many types of different woods in only a couple of acres, and hoping with this selection to get an idea of the merits of some of the different local woods.

If you get an invite, it's worth your while to check out Brian's racks of fine bows, his stone points, and his Blacktail trophies.  He is more than generous with his woodlot, and has even offered to help me find a Blacktail up in the Wynoochee Unit.  We only have another week of late season in 2007, but when I get my first deer with a bow, I'll definitely be posting that!   8)

Keith

[attachment deleted by admin]
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude
better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from
us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down
and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set
lightly upon you, and may posterity forget ...

Trapper

Re: Projects & Brian Melton
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2007, 03:56:50 pm »
I want one.   Brian if you read this would you shoot me a email.   
 Looks like Brian set you up pretty good there.    Trapper

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2007, 06:42:00 pm »
    Yea,Don't listen to what everybody told ya about Brian.He is a pretty nice guy. ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2007, 07:01:34 pm »
Your a lucky guy, thats a nice pile of loot ;D
And it says an awful lot about the character of folks on here.
Looking forward to more pics.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 01:30:58 am »
I agree Dana, the people I have dealt with are helpful and generous. It says something about the profile of a man that would have the stick and string as an interest. Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Knocker

• Tumwater, Washington
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2007, 02:15:23 am »
Me too.  I suspect the type of folks that would like Archery (and especially do-it-yourself) would have a lot in common and be pretty grounded people.  I have only been following this list since July, and have already noticed what a great group we have here. 

I have a theory that communicating with folks all around the world will eventually help the human race get along a little bit better.  Some people still have a tough time grasping the idea that you shouldn't type something that would be rude to say in person.  Kind of like those really nice people that turn into total jerks as soon as they get into their cars...   ???  And then again, sometimes the written word is just too easily misinterpreted.

Anyway, with a bit of online coaching, I hope to make a few serviceable bows out of that stash.  And I am looking forward to meeting more PA listers over the years!

Keith

brian melton

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2007, 10:32:48 pm »
Keith,

They shut the gates today >:( I think it is due to the storm, and more so to wood theives...they (the public) is cutting every log they can get their saws on for fire wood. It could also be due to safety, people sawing on their lands is a liability. We still have till the 31st in other units...again RAIN is critrical for blacktails in my mind, as I have said before.

Trapper,
                What do you need??? I have been really slow at shipping things, ask Glenn Doane ;D, but I don't forget ;D It will be there before christmas Glenn if you read this.....

brian melton

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2007, 10:40:38 pm »
Keith,

One more thing.....did you ever read the directions for splicing??? ;D

Offline Knocker

• Tumwater, Washington
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2007, 12:02:13 am »
Hey Brian,

Too bad about closing the Wynoochee - probably people stealing Christmas trees too...  I haven't found a written description of a splice yet, but this photo tutorial is pretty much like what you showed me.  http://bowyersworkshop.com/splicing1.htm