Author Topic: Wood ID. Mystery wood  (Read 4081 times)

Offline caveman2533

• Steve Nissly
Re: Wood ID. Mystery wood
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2013, 10:36:03 pm »
Looks like Palm wood to me.
I salvage wood from skids too when I see a cool piece.

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2013, 11:04:26 pm »
I was thinking black palm. That's why I asked about the dots.
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2013, 06:42:10 am »
May be palm. Hadn't thought of that. I'll check online and do a little more research. Thanks for the help everyone.
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2013, 07:12:39 am »
I'm thinking some sore of really dense oak. The side profile looks very much like the one I had.
No oak for sure. This wood does not have rays, while oak always has radial rays.

Does it float? I got my metal lathe from China and the pallet was made out of a wood that sank. A boatbuilder told me it was probably lignum vitae
Definitely NOT lignum vitae. That wood is wayyyy too expensive to even consider it for making a pallet from it! There is many more woods that sink in water, not only lignum vitae.

looks kind of like ipe but it is hard to tell. Does it have a scent to it if you scrape it?
The grain appears to be too course for ipé. That wood has a much finer texture, and usually (but not always) sinks in water, while this piece does not.

Looks like Palm wood to me.
I salvage wood from skids too when I see a cool piece.
It could be palm 'wood', but I'm not sure. The end grain picture appears to show annular growth rings, while palm does not have growth rings. But these could also be circular saw grooves in the end grain? A clearer picture of the end grain will help, because these fuzzy pictures with too little light are not of much help. Palm wood is easy to confirm or rule out by yourself.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pallet are usually made from the cheapest wood locally available. Try to find out where this pallets (or the products that it was carrying) was coming from. South America? Africa? Asia? This will help you a LOT if you want to find out the wood species. But then again: why would it matter? You have the wood already, it was for free, and it is too short to make any load bearing bow limb from it. You don't need to know the physical and technical properties if you use it for handles and overlays. If you insist on a Wood ID, post some better pictures, taken outside in daylight, with the camera in 'macro' mode. But I think this is a typical pallet wood that is not traded in Western countries, and may only have a Thai or Brazilian name.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2013, 07:49:59 am »
I work at an automotive parts casting facility.  We, being global, get pallets from all over the world everyday.  However, this is the only time I have ever saw this particular wood used on a skid.  I don't think it is "common" pallet material.  But like DarkSoul said, it's not long enough for a bow, so its kind of a mute point I guess.  I was just curious.  The poor photos were due to the pics being taken with an iphone.  Anyway, thanks all!! ;)
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2013, 10:42:56 am »
Palm wood does have growth rings, and the black dots on end grain and black streaks through it. Pallets r usually made with whatever wood the pallet company has. If they come across cheap walnut cherry or whatever they use it. Still going with black palm
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline Josh B

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2013, 01:35:48 pm »
Palm wood does have growth rings

Well not so much.  It grows completely different than what we think of as normal trees.  The complete absence of growth rings is a key characteristic of ID'ng black palm. Aside from that, it does resemble black palm in appearance.   Josh