Author Topic: Heat treating  (Read 6432 times)

Offline TRACY

Re: Heat treating
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2013, 07:20:40 am »
Of course not. Laminated bows, osage, black locust and yew don't require heat treatment.

I heat treat all of my Osage and black locust for corrections in limbs and to add reflex. I'll break out the steam tube and correct all in one clamping in some cases. Still haven't found the perfect stave ;)

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2013, 07:43:17 am »
I have been looking for 25 years Tracy and I haven't either. ;) :) I use heat on most bows I build,but to say they are heat treated like is explained in BB or on here to some extent I don't.I just heat them on a form for straighting and adding reflex till as Eddie said they look right and smell very good.  :) I do use it on most woods but it does seem to help white wood a lot more in my experience.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2013, 09:59:12 am »
What I really meant Mullett was: when you buy a heat gun to heat treat your bow, is there a recommended wattage to purchase?  What size?  Thanks.

Perhaps it doesn't matter as much where/when the temperature is warm but up here when my shop is cold anything under 1500 watts won't cut it
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2013, 11:10:11 am »
What I really meant Mullett was: when you buy a heat gun to heat treat your bow, is there a recommended wattage to purchase?  What size?  Thanks.

Sorry, I've never paid attention to what the Wattage is. I have a High and Low setting. I use low when I'm drinking a beer and taking my time and not paying a lot of attention. I use the high when I'm trying to bring the wood up to temperature fast and don't have a lot of time to work or, I'm treating the whole belly. And then I'm constantly moveing the gun.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?