Author Topic: Want VM design opinions, please  (Read 4179 times)

Offline steve b.

Re: Want VM design opinions, please
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2013, 09:56:35 pm »
That drawing I posted is not to scale.  The wooden tang of the lever that gets pinned will be much thicker in reality, and probably longer.

Not sure, Bryce, maybe 3".  VMB got me to thinking about weight of the levers, which got me to thinking about how much I end up discussing the size of my bow tips because I apparently make them "so much bigger than they need to be and therefore my arrow is slowed down".

If I remember correctly, Tim Baker said that for every extra 60 grns. of tip weight, on the average size and weight bow, arrow speed is reduced about 1 fps.
So I compared some woods today, 60 grns worth, to see how much actual wood that amounts to.  Here is oceanspray, hazelnut, fir, oak, two exotics and some antler and that whole stack of stir sticks.  This is how much EXTRA wood you would have to add to tips to reduce arrow speed 1fps.

But also it gives me an idea of how much heavier 4" levers would be if made from exotics vs., say, hazelnut.  I cut some VM after this pic and it was nearly identical to the hazelnut.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2013, 10:49:40 pm »
Try Cascara, pin cherry might be another choice, remember these (as I am sure you know) would have to be non-bending levers....I like the Cascara idea!

VMB
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2013, 01:22:48 am »
Cascara is nice and light.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2013, 11:37:11 pm »
I would go with a v-splice, like PatM suggested.  Sitka spruce would be another option for your levers....strongest wood per weight by most measures. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline steve b.

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2013, 01:00:39 am »
Oh great, now you chime in, after I cut the grooves today! :o

Actually I don't know how the V splice works.  I'm going with hazelnut for the levers.  3" x 1/4" grooves, another 3" levers, 2" high recurves. 

Live and learn I guess....... :-[

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2013, 04:10:18 pm »
Steve, you dont neeed us telling you what to do...you know how to make a bow.   :D

I am looking forward to seeing how this turns out. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso