Author Topic: Tree ID  (Read 1916 times)

Offline Mike Joe

Tree ID
« on: October 22, 2013, 11:07:40 pm »
This tree was growing in my backyard. I cut it down and roughed out a bow. At the time I thought it was Bay Laurel, but now I'm second guessing myself. I don't have any more pictures right now, but I can take some tomorrow.
"Son, we don't really care how it looks, We want it to work." - John McPherson

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Tree ID
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 11:38:33 pm »
The way that tree is growing out of the side of a very steep hill makes me think you live in the mountains.  ::)
  Looks like privet(Legustrum sp)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline okie64

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 11:49:53 pm »
The spotting on the bark makes me think its privet too. If it is privet it makes a good bow. Pics of a branch with the leaves would make id easier. Heres some pics of some privet I cut a few years back.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 11:52:32 pm »
Privet makes good bows and arrows but it checks readily so handle it carefully.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Mike Joe

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 10:58:05 am »
The way that tree is growing out of the side of a very steep hill makes me think you live in the mountains.  ::)

;D I don't know why it did that.

I had never even heard of privet. Hopefully I'll have some full draw pictures soon. Thanks for your help :)
"Son, we don't really care how it looks, We want it to work." - John McPherson

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 11:03:25 am »
Privet is an invasive exotic plant that is taking over parts of the US. This time of year it should have small, egg shaped berries. Deer love to eat privet and it is high in protein from what I've heard.