Author Topic: Splitting Hickory into Staves  (Read 11250 times)

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Splitting Hickory into Staves
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2013, 08:44:06 am »
I usually split my in 1/2 as DarkSoul said,but I always do Hickory in late spring or early summer so the bark peels right off,then I split to 1/4s and then the 1/4 in
to 1/8, I only cut big Hickory 18 and bigger but have cut some smaller stuff and still split into 1/2s. If it looks like is isn't going to spilt right I pop a chalk line 2 1/4
wide from end to end and cut it with my band saw,saves a lot of wood,also as
Eric said I pop the heart wood off as soon as I get it split in 1/4s and it will saw or split much better,usually right down the middle. :) You can usually put a wedge right where the heart and sap meet and it will split off end to end sometimes with one lick. Of course their are no hard fast rules to splitting,seen some that you think you will never get split and fights all the way and then another that grew right beside to tough one and it splits like butter,go figure it's wood. ;) :) We do between 75 and 100 staves a year for the Classic/scouts and just folks that want to come make a bow so I have cut and splt a bunch over the years. Seems every one is a little different.:)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline John D

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2013, 10:29:36 am »

Offline SamIAm

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2013, 10:46:03 am »
Wow, more great input.  Thanks to all.  DarkSoul...that makes perfect sense about splitting a smaller stave away from the larger one.  Starting from the middle on the bark side sounds like a good idea as well and removing the heartwood as soon as possible....makes good sense as well.  Now....no one has responded to my question about using a circular saw or chain saw and cutting a kerf and if it affects the rule about following the grain.  Doesn't sound like it does, but just wanted some thoughts on that subject.
"To thine own self be true,
And it must follow, as the night the day,
Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2013, 10:52:40 am »
Not usually on Hickory if it is straight grained as most Hickory is.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Badger

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2013, 11:07:58 am »
  A few years ago I stopped by a swa mill in Mississippi and asked the guy if he had any hickory. I was maybe about a 10 man operation not a small mill. He went and got a log and sawed off all the white wood for me which was 4" thick. I bought 4 4x4x10' long for $4.00 each. I couldn't believe it.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2013, 11:16:17 am »
Good score man.I've got all of these Amish sawmills around me here and I keep an eye on them too.Dirt cheap wood.Mostly oak,cottonwood,or anything really that they can make into pallet wood.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed