Author Topic: Old bow refurb- maybe  (Read 1771 times)

Offline kevinsmith5

Old bow refurb- maybe
« on: November 14, 2013, 09:17:43 pm »
So a friend of mine has a bow her father found in the attic. Thinks it was her grandfather's and wants to know if I can make it usable. I THINK it is a paper backed lemonwood bow. It seems to have a lot of follow and the paper is degraded from an area where it looks like the roof leaked on it. No twist and no cracks. I have bent it to what I think would be about half it's draw with a stringer. I think if I can get the backing off I can replace it with a very thin maple backing that I have on hand (actually played around one day seeing how thin I could go). Not sure if I should try and get some of the set out while doing that or leave well enough alone. Anyone ever done this to an old bow?

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Old bow refurb- maybe
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 09:35:53 pm »
One of the first rules of antiques is to not screw with 'em!

That being said, I tend to like buying antique tools and the like...and using them!

You might wanna take a page out of the physician's rulebook: first, do no harm.  It would be a shame to do something that might cause this bow to fail.  And remember, once you start the process of refinishing this piece of wood, you can't go back to original. 

Please post a few more pics, I would love to see more of this beauty!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 09:57:03 pm »
You might want to let her know that there is no way to know if tht bow will hold togeather and if it breaks while you attempting to get it working again then there's nothing you can do about it
I like osage

Offline Marks

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 10:51:19 am »
What is the purpose of getting it shooting? Just to see it? To hunt? To give to a son?

Considering you said there was water dripping on it on top of it being old I would leave well enough alone. Sounds like you got it back far enough to brace it. I'd call that a win, admire it braced for a minute or 2, then hang it up (unbraced) as a wall ornament. I wouldn't even fix the backing. Leave it all original is my unprofessional opinion.

Get them a replica made.

Offline PatM

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 11:02:46 am »
It's probably not worth anything as an antique. I would re-back it and get it working again.

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 05:01:08 pm »
hmmm. ill be watching this thread. i would probably leave it as is but if she wan't's it to be a working bow again then do your best. like marks said the water would worry me a bit.
London, England.

45#@28"