Author Topic: N.M Elk Hunter out there? (dead elk herd)  (Read 1672 times)

Offline Ed Brooks

It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline Dalton Knapper

Re: N.M Elk Hunter out there? (dead elk herd)
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 04:23:23 pm »
That's pretty sad. I'll be not too terribly far from there on my way through Taos next week. I like that country around Mora. Too bad for those elk. I hope it is limited to that one herd and not wider spread.

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 04:26:08 pm »
Ouch!!! If it is EHD then it's just beginning. Happened to our deer population last year and locally wiped out about 50%.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Ed Brooks

It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 05:11:01 pm »
EHD wiped out 80-90% of our local river bottom herd last year. Even after a fawning season, I cant see a change or a deer. Its going to be a while, my guess is 4-5 years minimum.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 05:47:37 pm »
here in Western WA, we lost a lot of our deer to a hair loss, not sure of the % lost, but they seem to starting to make a come back. Now our Elk have hoof rot, I'm afraid we will loose most of our elk herds. Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline stickbender

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 08:30:58 pm »
     There have been a lot of deer dying around Missoula, Mt. from EHD.  Little gnats carry it.  The warm weather, and low water levels makes it great for the gnats.  But the deer go to the water to drink, and cool off, and the gnats swarm all over them.

Wayne
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 08:35:33 pm by stickbender »