Author Topic: Horn overlays???  (Read 1659 times)

Offline wapiti1997

• Joe Lacefield Wildlife and Nature Photography
Horn overlays???
« on: October 20, 2013, 06:36:22 pm »
I have some bison horns, and I found a full curl mouflon sheep horn a couple of years ago. I'd like to know the best way to utilize them for tip overlays.

I've searched the forums, but haven't had any luck.  Many of the build-alongs seem to no longer have pics imbedded.

I assumed the bison could simply be cut with a saw trying to utilize the thicker areas?

Any advice is appreciated!

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Horn overlays???
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 06:51:46 pm »
I use my bandsaw to cut out a thick enough piece a little larger than I'll need.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 07:03:56 pm »
I have only used white tail antler for tip overlays but I'm sure the same principles apply. I cut a section slightly larger than the overlays intended final size with my bandsaw. a hand saw is ok but take great care to keep it straight and even. cut the piece in half thickness wise and then you have both tip overlays. sand the back of them with 120 grit sand paper and sand the bow tips where the overlays will rest LIGHTLY. clamp the antler/horn with wide faced clamps for good pressure displacement over the entire overlay. shape the tips after the glue has dried. clamp the bow limb near the tips for a a secure hold.

Thats my method, roughly, so take it with a grain of salt. good luck, I bet that bison will look great!
John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 07:09:53 pm »
 I cut them with my band saw also. When you cut them do it with the grain like wood, so the string doesn't lift off a layer.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline dwardo

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 06:32:41 am »
I used to find the hardest thing it getting two good flat mating surfaces when doing them by hand. Was easy enough to do the horn as its only small where as the bow was harder to clamp or move.
Now i cheat and use either my disk or belt sander and now it takes two minutes.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 06:41:29 am »
Yes & do a dry fit first.Hold it up to the light to see for any air gaps.If not your good to go.Nowadays I just use a large vise grip set to the right tension with leather buffer strips to keep the jaws from harming wood or horn.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed