Author Topic: DISASTER!  (Read 7986 times)

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

Re: DISASTER!
« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2013, 08:16:25 pm »
Man, that sucks. I have had wood destroyed through other things(mostly insects...)
And Osage too! All the worse.... I would have them serve as running targets so I could get some dynamic practice in with some blunts.... but I think that might be illegal.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline DGF

« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2013, 08:39:03 pm »
As bad as it is some good may come of it. Who knows, one of the hulligans may show an interest in bow building.

-Dan
Wyoming, MI

Offline warpath

« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2013, 09:46:22 pm »
The Mrs. and I read this and it made us both sick!!!! I think that they should pay the cost of a finished bow that each of those staves would've made AND cut more staves with their own hands using only axes. wedges, and hammers without the benefit of gloves. The money should come from their pockets and not their parents!!! If that means they need to get a job, then that's what they have to do!! Give them a timeframe as to when the money needs to be paid as well. Then they'll learn what it's like to have all their hard-earned money taken away in a flash.
  You definitely handled this way better than I would have. If it were me, heads would roll!!!!!

G

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2013, 10:06:33 pm »
Josh, this situation is also showing the quality of person that you are.  Lots of us would have flipped out and behaved poorly.  You, instead, went and talked with the kids' parents and made your case.  You turned this into a teachable moment where these boys can make right what wrong they did to you. 

Leave it to Gun Doc to tiller out a couple of knotty kids. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

JacksonCash

« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2013, 11:22:26 pm »
Josh, this situation is also showing the quality of person that you are.  Lots of us would have flipped out and behaved poorly.  You, instead, went and talked with the kids' parents and made your case.  You turned this into a teachable moment where these boys can make right what wrong they did to you. 

Leave it to Gun Doc to tiller out a couple of knotty kids.

Very well said.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2013, 11:50:06 pm »
Man, that sucks. I have had wood destroyed through other things(mostly insects...)
And Osage too! All the worse.... I would have them serve as running targets so I could get some dynamic practice in with some blunts.... but I think that might be illegal.
When this happened, I considered many dark means of retribution.  Thankfully, the boys chose self preservation over valor when I charged out of the house in my skivies and moccasins and they  ran into the cornfield like their butts were on fire.  This gave me time to clear my thoughts and approach this without  medieval intent.  Four of the six seem to be good kids that just used poor judgement.  The other two (the reported ring leaders)  were shall we say less than contrite.  I'm gonna try to be  pretty fair with the four and try to see if I can spark some interest in them.  The other two are probably gonna find themselves piling brush if there attitude doesn't improve drastically.  Anyone see a flaw in that approach?  Josh

Offline Poggins

« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2013, 12:12:03 am »
Nope.

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2013, 08:31:22 am »
 I charged out of the house in my skivies and moccasins and they  ran into the cornfield like their butts were on fire. 

A sight like that would give me nightmares. :o :o :o
Steve Bennett

Offline Josh B

« Reply #53 on: October 22, 2013, 10:47:43 am »
Yeah...I apologize for that mental image folks.   I only mentioned that particular detail because folks seem to have gotten the impression that I was calm, cool and collected throughout this ordeal. Clearly, I was not!  My initial reaction was far from calm, cool and collected.  Josh

Offline Marks

« Reply #54 on: October 22, 2013, 10:54:03 am »
For your 2 less than contrites you should count up and give a fair market monetary estimate of the damages and let them chose to replace them or pay for them. I bet their eyes will bug out when they see how expensive flirting with girls can be.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #55 on: October 22, 2013, 11:46:47 am »

All the worse.... I would have them serve as running targets so I could get some dynamic practice in with some blunts.... but I think that might be illegal.

Oddly enough? That's what we do to scammers that don't hold up their end of swaps and trades in this wonderful community we call PA.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #56 on: October 22, 2013, 12:11:47 pm »
That's funny.  I'll be sure to ship on time ;D

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #57 on: October 22, 2013, 12:15:42 pm »
The facilitators of the given swap will greatly appreciate that Matt!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #58 on: October 22, 2013, 01:22:41 pm »

All the worse.... I would have them serve as running targets so I could get some dynamic practice in with some blunts.... but I think that might be illegal.

Oddly enough? That's what we do to scammers that don't hold up their end of swaps and trades in this wonderful community we call PA.

PD, I can attest to you that that is not true in all cases. I won't post the persons identity openly in this forum but there are definitely exceptions to that rule.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #59 on: October 22, 2013, 03:02:36 pm »

Oh yeah, by all means work them!  You might even throw in a cotton wood tree, and then after they finally get it split into staves, say, " what the heck?  That isn't Osage, that's cotton wood, oh, never mind, toss it in the burn pit.  But definitely make them work, but I would feed them lunch, and water, then back to the chopping and splitting.  Those that don't leave after the first day or two, would get an offer to learn to make a good bow. And a little knowledge of their ancestors, and how they lived with what nature offered them, and the hard life they led. All things happen for a reason.  Sit down with all of them first, and explain the reason you are so upset, and the irreplaceable value of the older aged pieces, and the rarity of finding good primo osage.  Explain the hard work ahead of them, and what it takes to get those staves.  Maybe it will set a sense of the waste they caused even when your daughter told them not to.  Then put their butts to work!  After they have replaced all the staves, I would have a cook out, but no Osage fuel!  That way at least, they get the sense of what they, did, the sense of having replaced the wood, and the sense that you aren't just an old @#!$%$#@!  But I would make the offer to teach them the skills to make a good bow and arrow set.  But I would keep your daughter out of the shop while you are teaching.  No distractions, no accidents, or missing fingers. ;)  Just a man cave gathering. ;D   Oh yeah, while you are talking to them, have the song "Wolverton Mountain" playing........ Then casually mention, that your are also mighty good with a gun and a knife.... ::) :P
                                                             Wayne