Author Topic: Tiller help..  (Read 3456 times)

Offline Cloudfeather

Tiller help..
« on: October 27, 2013, 02:17:38 pm »
I think I've got a good idea of where I'm going with this, just never had a stave with this much natural reflex in it. The upper limb is right, lower is left. I'm thinking the left needs removal on the mid limb to even it out, then the right needs removal on the mid and outer to even it. I know it's early stages but I'd rather be cautious and get some other opinions on it. Thanks in advance everyone.

First pic is unbraced(about two inches of reflex), second pic is with the long string brought to about even.

Offline Arrowind

Re: Tiller help..
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 03:19:35 pm »
i would agree with you.....from what I see it looks like the left limb is a a bit strong.   I think it would be easier if the pic was more of a strait on view rather than a top down.. but from what I can tell that's what I would say.
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 05:11:28 pm »
Shorten your long string to just a bit longer than the bow for more accurate results.
 Like Arrowind suggested a straigh on pic plus a clearer background so we can get a good view of the bow and bending limbs.
You've got a good start though. Keep us posted on your progress.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline artcher1

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 05:18:57 pm »
A back profile pic would help also. What length is your bow? What is your draw length? Art

Offline Cloudfeather

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 05:27:45 pm »
This is the back before I sinew backed it. It's just over 58" ttt about 1/34" at the fades. My draw length is 27" and I'm shooting for 60-65#. If I hit between 55-60, I'll be happy though. I'm going to tweak it just a hair later on this evening and then post better pics. Thanks for the advice, fellas.

Offline artcher1

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2013, 08:27:20 pm »
With your chosen back profile, slight deflex out of the handle, and those dips in your limbs, you're not going to get away with an elliptical limb profile suitable for that design IMO. I would suggest you more your rectangular limb design back to 8-9" out of the dips/fades and then start you side taper from there. Keep the outer third rather stiff or flip 'em slightly. Reason for this is to help leverage that deflexed area right out of the handle............Art

Offline Cloudfeather

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 12:43:04 am »
An updated pic after some more working the limbs. I'm getting closer to where I want to be. Lower limb is still a bit stiff but I will be making a shorter tillering string tomorrow and see where it takes me.

Offline J05H

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 02:18:25 am »
I assume from the pics that you intend for the outer thirds to remain stiff as artcher1 suggested. To me it seems that the inner third is doing all of the work and the rest of the limbs aren't bending. IMO you need to get the middle third of both limbs bending quite a bit more. Hopefully someone with more experience will correct me if i'm leading you astray.
If you never have time to do it right, you'll always have time to do it over.

Offline artcher1

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2013, 09:32:07 am »
With that extra long tillering string and those natural limb dips out from the handle you're getting a skewed view of his bow JO5H. Once he goes to a shorter string you'll see the mid to outer section round out more.................Art

Offline wood_bandit99

• Shoot straight my friends!!
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2013, 11:08:00 am »
the tips closest to the stiff tips need to bend more, alot more. and the mid limb area needs a touch more bend too. this would be much easier to judge in person. i say just get them til they look even to you and we will help you when your pulling it farther. that would be easier to judge from the computer.
Yew and osage, BEST. WOODS. EVER! Shoot straight my friends!!!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2013, 12:16:05 pm »
Try floor tillering your bow first, then switch to pulling on it with a long/short string. If the tips aren't moving at least 6-8" you cant really see or say much of anything about the tiller.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

blackhawk

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2013, 12:39:36 pm »
I see you didn't take the advice above to shorten your long string...shorten it to where the string is basically touching the handle...and I agree with pearl...nobody can really say much on your tiller until your further along and bending more than that...

Offline J05H

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2013, 03:56:43 pm »
With that extra long tillering string and those natural limb dips out from the handle you're getting a skewed view of his bow JO5H. Once he goes to a shorter string you'll see the mid to outer section round out more.................Art

You're probably right.  We nee to see more bend from it to get the whole picture. Since the long string is so long, there isn't enough force pulling the tips in toward each other. Most of the force is straight down, and the result is that the bend doesn't show true. I can see how that would explain what I was seeing before. Thanks Art for setting me straight. Don't wanna give bad advice.
If you never have time to do it right, you'll always have time to do it over.