Author Topic: First Bow!!  (Read 4269 times)

Offline Arrowind

Re: First Bow!!
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2013, 04:29:41 pm »
GOOD JOB!
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline TimPotter

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2013, 04:36:27 pm »
Congrats! :)
"The best way to find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them."  Ernest Hemingway

Offline tallpine

• East Texas
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2013, 12:32:12 am »
Nice job on your first bow, I blew up 5 before I got a bow

Offline bowsandroses

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2013, 02:10:24 am »
Nice job it shows you did your home work. I've made several bows since my first and some still come in under weight that is if they don't go bang :o. Never was to good at home work ::) :-[ ;D
My two cents worth of wisdom
One who seeks solitude will find their inner spirit.

A man who speaks to critters is a man with an audience who listens
                                              Hugh Ridenour

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2013, 10:41:07 am »
Nice work on a successful first bow.  Now it time to get some more shavings on the floor :)

Offline Predictable

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2013, 07:16:15 pm »
aweome bow and nice grain pattern from what i see. hope that it never breaks, my red oak board bow broke, what were the dimensions of the board before?

mikekeswick

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2013, 12:52:23 pm »
Well done! Now make another for the kid you had to pry this one from  ;)

Offline finefirewood

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2013, 09:11:22 am »
Thanks to all for the kind comments. It's good to be part of a board that doesn't spend more time bickering than providing good information and encouragement.

The bow (and my son's) started as a piece of 1"x4"x8', ripped down to 1"x1-3/4"x6'. I chose the lesser of the two so if there was a failure, it would be on mine and not my son's. Now just need to get him out in the shop to finish!

This weekend, the bow saw about 400+ more arrows run through it between my son, his friend, my daughter, and me. No problems and we were all sticking a 3-d deer target at 15-20 yards consistently. Still need to make a proper string, but the trot line is doing quite well with very little stretch, surprisingly.

I now have 5 more to build (or help build) for the youngsters. I'd rather teach them along the way so they are more invested in the final product, and can learn the skills to do it themselves. I'll be on here asking questions, so please don't get annoyed too much with me!!

Thanks to all.
Making ordinary wood into fine firewood one stick at a time!

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2013, 09:27:18 am »
Very nice Sir.  Well done on your first.  My hat is off to you for working with those boys as well.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.