Author Topic: Time to shop for a larger tractor  (Read 5164 times)

Offline iowabow

Time to shop for a larger tractor
« on: October 03, 2013, 01:35:12 am »
This is my current tractor (18hp diesel) and runs great but is a little small for the new ground I just bought. What tractor do guys like in the compact tractor 35-40 size?
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Time to shop for a larger tractor
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 05:34:45 am »
Kobota make a nice one.  :) Nothing runs like a Deer but you really pay for that green paint. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 11:01:50 am »
I have a B7510 Kubota, 23 hp and am going tractor shopping in the spring for a bigger one.

What I have is perfect for work around my house, tilling the garden and mowing the 3 acres of my land and the neighbors that I keep up as well.

When I start working on the 350 acres I hunt with it, mostly bush hogging with my 4' bush hog, I come up way short.

Kubota makes a B series with 31 hp and an L series that starts at 31hp and goes up to 45hp, lots of models to pick from as you step up in size.

My friends have a mid sized Mahindra tractor that is much sturdier than Kubotas. They are pretty astute shoppers and research everything they buy, this is why the decided on a Mahindra.

One more thing, don't even think of getting a tractor without a front end loader, handiest thing on the face of the planet.  On my small tractor the bucket weighs 400 lbs and I have to run in 4wheel drive all the time to push the extra load.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 02:58:44 pm »
Do you have any body lined up to buy that one yet?  I wish I could swing it.  That's really nice little tractor!  Josh

Offline iowabow

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 03:53:08 pm »
Do you have any body lined up to buy that one yet?  I wish I could swing it.  That's really nice little tractor!  Josh
No not yet Josh and I would have made you a heck of a deal... wife wont let me buy a new one till the old one sells lol. I guess she know I love this little tractor to much.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 03:57:43 pm »
I have a B7510 Kubota, 23 hp and am going tractor shopping in the spring for a bigger one.

What I have is perfect for work around my house, tilling the garden and mowing the 3 acres of my land and the neighbors that I keep up as well.

When I start working on the 350 acres I hunt with it, mostly bush hogging with my 4' bush hog, I come up way short.

Kubota makes a B series with 31 hp and an L series that starts at 31hp and goes up to 45hp, lots of models to pick from as you step up in size.

My friends have a mid sized Mahindra tractor that is much sturdier than Kubotas. They are pretty astute shoppers and research everything they buy, this is why the decided on a Mahindra.

One more thing, don't even think of getting a tractor without a front end loader, handiest thing on the face of the planet.  On my small tractor the bucket weighs 400 lbs and I have to run in 4wheel drive all the time to push the extra load.
Nice tractor right there but know what you mean on the hp ...I kinda like the 4410 jd or the 3038 e but read that the 3038e has front seal leaks every 100 hrs.. And yes loader is a must.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 04:30:36 pm »
My cousin has a, I believe, 40 hp Kubota that yanks his 10' disk all over easily. It also runs a 4-5' brush hog easily. I think he paid in the $25,000 range as new. He works that tractor like a slave and it asks for more.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 08:45:07 pm »
How much land are you needing to cut i love my 60s model AC tractor

"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995

Offline iowabow

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2013, 09:10:56 pm »
How much land are you needing to cut i love my 60s model AC tractor

About 11ac plus 70ac of trees. ....also just got a call and a guy is coming to buy my tractor ( I hope) tomorrow. Plus tomorrow my stitches in my foot are coming out so I think tomorrow is going to be a good day.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2013, 09:56:09 pm »
I bought a little Kubota L32 last spring and I have nothing but good things to say about it.  I have a six foot cutter and keep a similar size place looking good with it.   Interest free sixty months financing was a special they were running then.  It's easy on fuel and does what I need it to do.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2013, 08:56:31 am »
Some of this pretty orange tractors have a VFD transmission they work pretty good my other brother-in-law has one the only good advice i can give you is dont by john deer my neighbor is aaster mechanic who  works on tractors and machinery and he sed JD is the brand that has problems and the repairs are outrageously priced there just not that reliable. if you want i can ask him a good reliable brand to buy  since he works on them every day
"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2013, 03:00:59 pm »
Look into new holland and case.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline iowabow

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2013, 10:40:03 am »
Well I went with the l3800 kubota and this was my first job. I needed to fix a washout on the dam of my pond before I lost the whole thing. This tractor is perfect for my needs here on the land we have in iowa. It is small enough to get through the woods and across the creek.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 10:48:06 am by iowabow »

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2013, 09:44:43 pm »
You got yourself a little work horse!  You will appreciate that size when you start working in tight spaces.  Big enough to get it done and small enough to be easy on fuel and maneuverable - you done good. 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi