Author Topic: Arrrrgh . . . violated osage rings . . . badly  (Read 4943 times)

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
Re: Arrrrgh . . . violated osage rings . . . badly
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2013, 09:45:05 am »
I'm solidly in the "clean, pristine back" camp.  As Blackhawk said, lots of things are possible with these bows we make, but a good clean back is the foundation.  If that is solid, you can get away with all kinds of things, if it's not your path to a working bow is very narrow.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

blackhawk

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2013, 09:53:38 am »
Same question as artcher1 ??? smoke where is the violation at. Wood_Bandit99 Pinecone yall are lucky guys, :-\ never had much luck with ring violations on Osage or anything else except maybe Yew if  it is in the working part of the limb,and also never set one up to fail. ??? :-\
   Pappy

Haha I couldn't get a growth ring on the bow because of how tiny it was so I just scraped off the polyurethane off the back and went from there. That thing was about .75" deep and 1" wide.

If my eye can discern heartwood from early wood it is chaseable,and I haven't come across one I haven't been able to chase...just takes patience and some know how...but at your age it sounds like your lacking in these depts...its OK tho...I didn't either at your age ..lol :D

Offline Poggins

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2013, 10:14:12 am »
Hey Smoke , it might help if you can post a pic , maybe of the whole stave and then where you violated the ring , this may help get a good answer for you .
If its good osage it doesn't take a lot to make a great bow .

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2013, 10:34:43 am »
If you want to play with Osage you need to learn to chase rings, so get started now !
If there is not enough left to make a bow there probably was not enough to start with !
Make the best bow out of it you can then move on to the next one !
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline ohma2

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2013, 11:07:09 am »
you are learning and that is the first thing,there are plenty of people here to help you, BUT when you ask for help be prepared to show some pics they are worth a thousand words.with a good pic you would be suprised what might be worked out.not meant to be a lecture just advice.

Offline wood_bandit99

• Shoot straight my friends!!
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2013, 11:45:28 am »
Same question as artcher1 ??? smoke where is the violation at. Wood_Bandit99 Pinecone yall are lucky guys, :-\ never had much luck with ring violations on Osage or anything else except maybe Yew if  it is in the working part of the limb,and also never set one up to fail. ??? :-\
   Pappy

Haha I couldn't get a growth ring on the bow because of how tiny it was so I just scraped off the polyurethane off the back and went from there. That thing was about .75" deep and 1" wide.

If my eye can discern heartwood from early wood it is chaseable,and I haven't come across one I haven't been able to chase...just takes patience and some know how...but at your age it sounds like your lacking in these depts...its OK tho...I didn't either at your age ..lol :D

lol, i guess i could have chased it but i wanted to make a 55# bow. you don thave much room if the growth rings are a little under .25" thick and it is ripped across 3-4 growth rings and it is a littl eover .75 inches thick in the smallest area and a bit under 1" in the thickest part. that was funny tho. LOL
Yew and osage, BEST. WOODS. EVER! Shoot straight my friends!!!

Offline smoke

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2013, 12:19:13 pm »
Thanks guys.  I'll see if I can get a picture and post it.  The violation is on the outer limb about the last 5 inches - in retrospect I can't believe I didn't see it.  I thought I could sinew it or, as some suggested, back with rawhide. 

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2013, 02:08:59 pm »
the photos will really help us narrow down your options to the best and most workable.  Offer still stands if the rawhide is needed.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline artcher1

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2013, 02:14:00 pm »
I was given an Osage bow that had the back ring step down to the next ring about 8-9" from it's tip and it never failed. I did apply a wrap later on  but it was more than shot in by then. Personally, I don't worry to much about the last 6" on the back or belly. Place a wrap there and it'll be fine I bet.............Art