Author Topic: Let the saw dust fly!  (Read 1732 times)

Offline Gsulfridge

Let the saw dust fly!
« on: October 21, 2013, 09:03:01 pm »
I have been struggling mightily with my under powered 10" bandsaw with crappy Sears blades. I've been pondering dropping some coin on a 14" version, but decided to try a quality blade on mine first. I ordered a 3tpi Timberwolf. It arrived today and I promptly yanked said crappy blade off and installed the Timberwolf blade. I hade two bows layed out and waiting for the saw. I grabbed one up and cranked up the saw. I eased the stave up to the whirring blade and inched it forward. Clouds parted and angels sang!  My good gracious, what a difference a good blade makes!  I don't know everyone else's opinion of Timberwolf blades, but I was thoroughly impressed.  Easy, square cuts with no binding and (ha ha!) no smoke!  I like it.  :D
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Let the saw dust fly!
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 10:08:03 pm »
I think I'll go that route on my next blade Greg.  Maybe I'll be able to cut a straight line.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 08:29:20 am »
Well worth the money,when I was the only one using my saws that is what I used, they would last a long long time,to many rookies using it now,so I go with the cheaper ones from Grizzly,they don't last near as long but most of mine get broken or bent way before they are worn out. :o ??? ;) :) :) I put a new one on
at the Classic last year at almost mid night so it would be ready for Saturday and the first person that used it Saturday morning kinked it,I mean the very first cut. >:( ;) :) We did do better last year,we only went through 8 blades,the year before we went through 15. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline neuse

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 08:53:15 am »
It is said that 90% of band saw problems are the blade.

Offline finefirewood

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 11:55:55 am »
I had the Sears 10" saw and just got rid of it. Waaaaay too underpowered! My little 9" cheapo no-name has more guts, so I sold the craftsman. Have my eye on a Shopsmith V that needs a little TLC, but works.
Making ordinary wood into fine firewood one stick at a time!

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 01:33:19 pm »
Good blades compensate for a lot, I can attest to that. I wouldn't mind having a 14" saw, but the 10" is doing good now.
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN