Author Topic: Cleaned out  (Read 9445 times)

Offline Parnell

Re: Cleaned out
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2013, 12:42:51 pm »
Sucks, JW.  We have a "everyday use" account for debit/charges that we keep a minimum in.  The rest is kept separately.  Takes work to manage but seems to be worth it...so far.
1’—>1’

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2013, 12:56:59 pm »
What's funny? I worked for four years in credit card fraud investigation.  I kinda knew that, Parnell and yet managed to ignore it!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline skarhand

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2013, 02:08:02 pm »
Sucks, JW.  We have a "everyday use" account for debit/charges that we keep a minimum in.  The rest is kept separately.  Takes work to manage but seems to be worth it...so far.

You could also try my method of credit and bank account protection: Keep the Credit Cards hovering near max, and have no money in the bank. Then if thieves steal your identity, they end up worse off, lol. 

Again, all the best is getting whats yours back. Let us know if you need to form up a quick lynching mob or anything.

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2013, 02:18:52 pm »
Good luck JW. That happened to my brother one time he ordered tools from a place in CA the person taking the order kept his numbers then ordered groceries to be delivered to there home.

JacksonCash

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2013, 02:45:19 pm »
Bugger all! That sucks. I love reading about they ways these guys can take your cards, but hate hearing about someone on the receiving end. It is really amazing the ways that crooks innovate. Skimmers on ATMs, scanning your card on a reader when they are going to scan it through a legit reader. I don't let my card out of my site these days - always bring cash to restaurants and always always check ATMs for skimmers.

Anyway, good to hear the bank is being helpful. Best of luck.

Offline bubby

« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2013, 03:23:52 pm »
been there, done that as well j dub, got all mine back hope you do as well
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2013, 06:18:00 pm »
Thieves should be shot with arrows.  >:D
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline KHalverson

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2013, 08:05:31 pm »
JW
that sucks !
I hope they catch the thief .

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2013, 08:37:52 pm »
JW that's horrible!! We've had that happen twice, but it was for small amounts and the bank credited our account.

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline sleek

« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2013, 10:22:51 pm »
Man I hope you get everything back. It has happened to us in the past and it worked out ok.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2013, 10:21:25 pm »
Ok, so I finally got that straightened out, right?  Yeah, great.  This morning I get an automated call on my cell phone telling me there are suspicious charges on my card and it asks me to call an 800 number before hanging up.  Now I am officially paranoid, since I just got the replacement card the other day.  Is this the scammer trying to get the new card number?  Is the new card hit already?  What the ...?

Ok, I call and I do NOT give out a lick of information at all. In fact, I ask the person on the line to provide me with the date and the amount of the last deposit.  That is something only the card company can come up with.  She nails it.  Except it is ANOTHER account at that bank, my business account that I hold jointly with a friend. 

Fortunately, this bank was on the alert with my accounts.  They saw a $2 charge in Nebraska, another for $4 in Mexico, and one for $0.66 in China.  They shut it all down and put my card on hold until I called. 

I would love to get my mitts on the person that stole my information.  He'd go feet first into a chipper/shredder with an underpowered motor so that it would keep clogging and we'd have to back him out and start over again and again.   
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2013, 01:43:29 am »
I like that response JW!

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2013, 10:18:04 am »
Just desserts will come to those who earn them!
The only shame in that is when they pay for thier thievery, you'll probably never have the satisfaction of knowing about it.
When forced to deal with scumbags, karma can be an invisible friend.

Sorry to hear about your problems JW, hope it all works out as best as possible.

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2013, 01:10:22 pm »
Dang it Sir,

Sorry you are having to go through all this.

The last time I went through this, I had to change All my Accounts.
Open new accounts, transfer everything over, reset any auto deposits/withdrawals.
A Real nightmare.

This is also the main reason I do not link my Checking and Savings accounts with Overdraft Protection or some such.

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline bow101

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2013, 04:02:51 pm »
MMmmmmm   I wonder how the culprits got your info..?  That is a pain in the royal you know what......!!!! >:D >:D >:D  I saw a deal on the news latley about theives getting into cars with a dummy remote, thats WHy I never, WHy I never,  I never, never Leave stuff in the Vehicle...not even in the trunk.
Same in the old days days when I use to visit Cabarets, I always kept my car keys in my pocket........ :)  If the women put their hands in my pockets is was always the back one..... ;)
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell