Author Topic: NC Tree ID  (Read 3730 times)

Offline nclonghunter

Re: NC Tree ID
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2013, 11:54:31 pm »
I just looked for sassafras bark images and I am now believing it is sassafras. Most of the leaves have fallen and I did not see any lobed leaves, but I still think you guys got it right....Thanks for the help
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2013, 12:10:05 am »
Most of sassafras leaves are lobed so there should be plenty of them under the tree. Also if you crush fresh leaves they have a lemony smell. Sassafras not only has 3 leaf shapes but also three distinct smells; the leaves, the roots and the wood.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2013, 01:18:36 pm »
I'm pretty familiar with most of the trees in NC, and I can't hang a name on that one from the pics. It's not sassafras. If I could see it in person or get a better close-up photo of the twigs and leaves, I might be able to tell you. The bark looks closest to black willow, mulberry, or eastern cottonwood, but the leaves from what I can see in the photo look like none of the above. It could also be a non-native escape.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2013, 09:22:03 pm »
Hillbilly, the tree does not have any branches until high up and few leaves are remaing. None are lobed that I could see. It is a fairly straight tree but leaning some. I just looked at the bark of a Sourwood and its leaves which look close. Sourwoods I have seen have been darker bark, but I think it could be....
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2013, 10:16:25 am »
Doesn't really look like a sourwood either. Their bark is more deeply grooved than shaggy, and the leaves are longer and narrower than the ones in the pic. Sourwoods still have this year's dead blooms/seeds on them now, too at the end of the twigs. How big are the leaves on this tree?
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.