Author Topic: Backing suggestions?  (Read 1180 times)

Offline J05H

Backing suggestions?
« on: October 21, 2013, 07:40:07 pm »
I'm planning on making a couple of kids bows for my nieces out of some cherry lumber I have. They are 5 and 8. My board is 3/8" by 4" but the grain is not great. I'm wondering if someone can suggest a natural protective backing material that is transparent. I want to show off the cherry as much as possible. The bows will be pretty short and pull somewhere between 10 and 20 pounds at 15" to 20" inches. I'm guessing right now but I'll be sure before I start.
If you never have time to do it right, you'll always have time to do it over.

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
Re: Backing suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 07:50:28 pm »
Really thin rawhide would work. You can get what they call clarified calf skin at Tandy but i remember it bein kinda expensive last i looked... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline J05H

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 09:01:11 pm »
I was able to find some clarified calfskin online but it is well outside my price range. I did discover translucent vellum paper during my search. If a paper grocery bag will work then this vellum paper should as well, and its much more affordable than the calfskin. I know this is an odd request but I just don't want to cover up the wood. Maybe the cherry will be ok at such a low draw weight. Any thoughts?

Offline adb

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 09:28:22 pm »
I'd back it. Keep it safe for kids. Cherry is fussy and chrysalis easily and when it fails, it usually does in spectacular fashion. Don't worry... you'll still see the belly wood! Either a thin maple strip, or rawhide.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 10:06:05 pm by adb »

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 09:32:59 pm »
I'd use a solid backing like adb said a thin strip of maple
I like osage

Offline J05H

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 09:47:21 pm »
You know maple doesn't sound too bad. It'll compliment the cherry well. Problem is I don't have any thin and straight grained. I think I may just go with rawhide unless I can find some good maple backing strips before I'm ready to start.

Thanks for the input guys. I appreciate it.

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 09:48:58 pm »
Ditto on a wood strip backing. I have a 68" cherry longbow with a hickory strip backing. It has a little string follow but otherwise is a nice smooth shooter.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline adb

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2013, 10:06:49 pm »
Rawhide will be fine for a kid's bow.