Author Topic: archery program  (Read 7551 times)

Offline carpenter374

Re: archery program
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2008, 05:53:11 pm »
i was shooting my bow at the my inlaw's archery range a couple weeks ago when their son came walking into the range totin a genesis. hes 7. purdy good shootin bow. after sein my stickbow he wants one. its a work in progress.
"Those who would sacrifice their freedom for safety will find that they will inherit neither." -Ben Franklin     

--Carpenter

Offline Postman

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2008, 04:39:54 pm »
Thanks for the statistical ammo on safety and specs on the genesis, Gene. Come to think of it, the genesis bows  are probably safer for several reasons over fiberglass recurves, too. The cash availability aspect is really important,also. I will use your post to help make a case for NASP in my school and get that there DVD for my PE guys. I have a few students kinda  interested in traditional, and several wheelie kids, and too many healthy crossbow shooters. But I think getting more shooting bows at all and branching out from my base of kids with hunting in their families (distressingly small for a rural area) is important. Oldbow is correct- gameboys, ect.  are horrible. Some kids now spend all day with an ipod pluggged in their ears interacting with NOBODY. Some teachers don't even care.   sorry, not in my class, kiddo....If I know the kid well, I take it and put a bunch of MY songs on it, and he has to listen to MY playlist ( I have a great CD of old Italian love songs!) during lunch detention  to get it back :)
Keep up the good work.
Postman
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2008, 05:42:59 pm »
Hmmmmm....Outdoors, no On/Off switches, fling'n arrows.  It's a good start.  ;) Our school picked up the program this year and I'm excited.  Primitive will find its niche in good time.  Too bad woodshop was dropped from the curriculum some time ago.   Tech-Ed is what it's called now and apparently wood is too Low-Tech.   :(

Otoe
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2008, 06:49:49 pm »
yall are right but thats the only thing i could do.compound or nothin.on the bright side:no releases,no sights,just bows and kids.

I cant believe that they would not allow Longbows...they are so much safer than a Wheeled Bow for Children....you ever dry fire a Compound Bow??? Not Pretty I guarantee you!! They are cheaper....easier to care for...and can be had at a Lot Lower Poundage than a Mathews Bow....JMO.......glad the Kids are getting to Shoot any ways

Hey you got any relatives back North??? the Last Name is Roberts too.....just curious!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline robbsbass

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2008, 03:40:09 pm »
Up here in Canada I help teach an archery program that starts with the basics in the first course 10 weeks, and if the child has obtained enough badges they can then move on to to the advanced course. They cannot use those dreaded "C" bows until they have advanced to a certain level and then and only then are they allowed sights, Children that go into this program can if they are good enough go into competition, and eventually try out for the Olympic team. This all starts out with a re curve bow.
live each day the best you can