Author Topic: Another Tiller Check!  (Read 1610 times)

Offline Christian Soldier

Another Tiller Check!
« on: October 17, 2013, 03:49:16 pm »
Hey guys, I've been kinda slow with bow making lately, this whole 'school' thing gets in the way sometimes.  ::)

Anyway, I've got a hackberry pyramid style bow here with more character than I'm used to dealing with and I could use some help with the tiller.

To give some context, its just shy of 2" wide at the fades and 63" long with 7 1/2" of handle/fade. I'm aiming for 50lbs at 26.5", not what it is right now because I just finished floor tillering and heat treating and put a string on it for a low brace picture. It feels okay so far though.

There's a good size knot (healed over so its more of a knob, you can see there's a leaf right under it in the bottom pictures) in the upper limb that doesn't seem to bending, then it transitions quickly to a normal thickness limb.  I'm not sure if that's the way it should be or what not so if yall could help me out, that'd be much appreciated.  :)

Here are the Pictures!

Thanks!
2nd Timothy 2:3 "Endure hardship with us like a good soldier of Christ Jesus."

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
Re: Another Tiller Check!
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 03:59:29 pm »
For a character bow, I must see a picture of the unbraced bow before I can comment on the tiller. The front view would also be nice, to see the width design of the bow.

That being said, it appears nice...
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 05:23:48 pm »

Close up on the trouble section

Hopefully that clears some things up a bit, any help or advice is appreciated. I don't want to screw this one up. Thanks guys.

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 05:26:39 pm »
Personally, the first thing i would do would be to remove wood slowly, on the outer 1/3 of the limb with the character, and see how that changes things.

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 08:58:09 am »
That's a beautiful stick,keep in mind that on a character stave you don't always get the prefect bend all the way through a limb.Look at it often from both sides
will help,the humps will look stiff but are really bending, watch the limb thickness,it should stay about the same even in the hump area. It is very easy to get a hinge in them areas because you think it is flat but it is really bending.  :) I sometimes look at the back of the limb to judge the bending in the hump areas. Slow and steady and it should be fine. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 06:08:25 pm »
Thanks!

I did take a bit off the end of the character limb.

I've got a good bit of sanding to do and working it in but it should be done in the next week or so and I'll post some pictures then.

Offline adb

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 07:34:49 pm »
Looks pretty good so far. Let us have a look with it bent a bit.

Offline twisted hickory

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 08:11:52 pm »
CS,
That bow has the makings of being a interesting bow with some cool character. They are tough to tiller but worth it in the end.
Nice work so far,
Greg