Author Topic: Recipes  (Read 2900 times)

Offline Otis

Re: Recipes
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2013, 07:14:33 pm »
I second Mullet's backstrap wrapped in bacon. Had it at Pappy's for the first time when he fixed it. It is AWESOME. Matter of fact wife fixed last week. :) Add some stuffed jalapenos and you're in business.  We can probably do that in a couple weeks.  You gonna be there Eddie?

David

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2013, 08:23:35 pm »
Picky OO............. is right,  never seen someone dig through a breakfast casserole and discard stuff he didn't like ,,,,like he did.  :laugh: :laugh: I've made some deer apps before ........... I've taken some deer meat and sliced it thin, marinated it in some red wine vinegar, brown sugar and a little orange juice over night.  Put it on the grill to mid rare. Not long on the grill at all.  Tastes like natures candy.  I believe Badly Bend and his wife had some at the Classic this year.  I'll have more this classic tooo.  Believe it or not goes good with your drink of choice.  ;)
DBar 
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2013, 09:24:39 pm »
Lordy we have some real conisuers on here.Fantastic.I can taste every description.I'm just a simple meat and patatoes guy though......LOL.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline RyanR

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2013, 10:48:51 pm »
I will have to second the simple meat and potatoes.  This sure is making me hungry.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2013, 11:03:40 pm »
Raw is best 
I like osage

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2013, 11:26:54 pm »
I'll be eating fresh back straps in a couple of days.  I can't wait. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline chamookman

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2013, 05:11:45 am »
Backstrap seasoned lightly with salt/pepper/garlic powder dropped into a HOT cast iron pan with a dollap of butter for 60 seconds a side, along with a heap of fried taters with onion & Hungarian pepper and some sourdough bread smothered with butter - Dang now My belly in RUMBLING  ;). Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2013, 07:10:12 am »
I second Mullet's backstrap wrapped in bacon. Had it at Pappy's for the first time when he fixed it. It is AWESOME. Matter of fact wife fixed last week. :) Add some stuffed jalapenos and you're in business.  We can probably do that in a couple weeks.  You gonna be there Eddie?

David
I don't know, Dave, sure hope so. It's looking like I might be stuck in Spain for a while. They're paying me to hang out for week two without doing any work again. I'm ready to go to work and head home.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2013, 08:02:41 am »
Meat and taters is good for me,I really cook a lot of venison but have no real
recipe,someone ask one time at the cabin what I put in the meat for supper and was told by one of the guys that hang out there a lot,their is no telling,but it's always good. ;) :)  :) I do the crock pot thing a lot ,mainly because it easy but from time to time I like to marinate steaks in Italian dressing and mustard ??? over night and grill on a wood fire. :) backed taters in the black pot on the fire also. :)Yum. now I am getting hungry.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2013, 11:25:47 am »
I like to take a whole hind quarter and season it well with salt and pepper and garlic salt.  Run two freshly peeled maple saplings through it and hang it over a good fire for 3-5 hours (depending on the size of the quarter and the fire).  Kinda like roast beef, only way-way better.  This will feed quite a few and they will stand in line! ;D
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2013, 12:36:32 am »
Sear all sides of the back strap in lightly oiled cast iron skillet and place in a 350 over for 15minutes(rare) or 20 minutes(med rare). Remove the meat and set aside to rest. Deglaze the pan with beef bullion(unless you have venison bullion), add a shot of bourbon and heavy cream and reduce. I like to cut the back strap into medallions and serve with the bourbon sauce over it with oven roasted potatoes and a green salad. Any juices from slicing the medallions should be incorperated into the bourbon sauce.  :P

The resting is critical, the sauce is optional, and the cast iron is not up for a vote much less discussion!

Raw is best 

When I cut up venison or antelope, I always have a small saucer of soy sauce and another of pickled ginger.  Bits and bites for the butcher, I say!  Tartare!

And one of my favorites is to take the front shanks, freeze 'em solid, then saw them up with the meat saw.  Cut into 1 1/2 inch segments, bone and all.  We are gonna make osso bucco cowboy style.  Get out the big cast iron dutch oven, fry up a coupla diced slices of bacon, then turn the heat up until the grease starts to smoke.  Sear both sides of these bone in cuts of meat until they are almost blackened.  Reduce heat, add half a bottle of decent red wine.  In layers a pound of your favorite mushrooms, and a pound of pearl onions.  Add some salt, black pepper, and garlic to taste, a couple bay leaves, and pop the lid on the dutch oven.  Place this whole mess in the oven at 200 degrees for 5 hours without opening the lid....and you better hope you got seatbelts on your chairs.

All the tendons and ligaments slowly cook down to a rich jelly, the meat becomes amazingly tender, and the marrow in the middle of the bone is greasy goodness in the extreme, but thankfully there is very little of it. serve with roasted potatoes, roasted squash, and crusty bread to mop up the rich gravy. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2013, 10:08:52 pm »
Lordy....Any of you guys ever work in a resteraunt?Or......Maybe your wives are good teachers.....LoL.
When I belonged to 3 different coon hound clubs we used to have a game feed mid winter say January or so for all of the members.Those were fun.You never knew what kind of dishes would show up and you could try em all if your stomach was big enough.Then we'd watch videos of guys who went out west lion or bear hunting etc.It was a blast.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2013, 10:46:29 pm »
Lordy....Any of you guys ever work in a resteraunt?Or......Maybe your wives are good teachers.....LoL.
When I belonged to 3 different coon hound clubs we used to have a game feed mid winter say January or so for all of the members.Those were fun.You never knew what kind of dishes would show up and you could try em all if your stomach was big enough.Then we'd watch videos of guys who went out west lion or bear hunting etc.It was a blast.

Oh, my kind of feed! 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.