Author Topic: Looking to buy a primitve bow  (Read 3028 times)

Offline TheDukesArchers

Looking to buy a primitve bow
« on: October 16, 2013, 07:19:48 pm »
Hi guys,

Let me start of by saying I'm a huge fan of primitive archery and Billy Berger. I've just finished up 6 primitive arrows as I'm a keen fletcher. They are all flint tipped and sinew wrapped. I'm now in the market for a primitive bow, though there are no bowyers I know that make them. I'm in the UK where longbows really seem to dominate. Are there any bowyers in the US I should look out for?

Cheers!

EDIT
Just to quickly add I'm looking for something authentic. No laminations or modern materials. Ideally I'd even like a natural bowstring....I am a bit weird like that ha!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 07:25:32 pm by TheDukesArchers »

Offline Joec123able

Re: Looking to buy a primitve bow
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 07:45:47 pm »
If you like billy Berger I know he sells bows try and get in touch with him
I like osage

Online Hamish

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 07:47:42 pm »
 If I was you I would seriously check out Mike Roberts Bows. He has a website, and is based in the UK,(so it would be cheaper for shipping) he makes top notch bows of all kinds, not just english longbows.
There is also Del in England he has a site/blog too, I just can't think of it at moment, I'm sure he would/does make more primitive designs as well. He is on this site and makes top notch bows as well.

If you decide to go down the US path, there are so many good bowyers it isn't funny. Best bet is to find the type of bow you like by looking at posts and contact the bowyer directly.

Hamish.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 07:51:03 pm »
There's plenty of UK based bowyers! You probably just haven't found them yet. There's various bowyers that frequent this forum as well. Del the cat, Mikekeswick or Mark in England, just to name three guys that come to mind.

But....have you considered making a bow yourself? It really doesn't need to be complicated! Cavemen have been doing it 10,000 years ago, with only stones tools... Shooting a bow that you made yourself is much more rewarding.

Oh, by the way, shipping a bow from the USA to the UK will be incredibly expensive (around £50 maybe). Try to locate a bow closer to home.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline TheDukesArchers

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 07:58:34 pm »
Cheers guys! Maybe I just need to improve my research skills. ::)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 12:19:53 am »
Good lord, what has this world come to?  An Englishman asking for someone to build him a bow?  I thought this stuff was part of the double helix in his very cells!?!?!

Must be an recent immigrant.   ;D

Can we ask what you want the bow to do for you?  Obviously you are not going to hunt with it where you live.  Targets, historical re-enacting, collecting, resolving ongoing over-the-back-fence disputes over who's dog crapped in whose petunias?

I for one agree that you could make one for yourself.  Keep us posted either way.  Welcome to the Forum.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline dwardo

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 05:14:56 am »
Let us know where your are in the UK and there might be a bowyer close enough to help you make your own.

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 01:30:21 pm »
When I started this addiction a couple of years ago I thought I would buy one first. After trolling around some internet sites (this one in particular was the best) I decided to give it a go at making my own. I've never once regretted that decision! I bet if you are crafty enough to make arrows, you can make a bow too. Plus once you get started you'll be addicted like everybody else around here! Always great guys with great advice on here.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2013, 02:44:45 pm »
When I started this addiction a couple of years ago I thought I would buy one first. After trolling around some internet sites (this one in particular was the best) I decided to give it a go at making my own. I've never once regretted that decision! I bet if you are crafty enough to make arrows, you can make a bow too. Plus once you get started you'll be addicted like everybody else around here! Always great guys with great advice on here.

Also. a lot of people tend to be cautious making deals with people that have made 9 post with a third of them wanting to buy a Flat bow and a War bow. And, there is a length restriction to ship from the US to the UK and it's expensive.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2013, 01:39:00 am »
 Make one yourself ! Every one of those great bowyers mentioned  all started with their first bow! We all advance at different paces ,but with the guidance you will find on this great site , you will be amazing friends and family in very short order. "Pearldrums" seems to have this affliction where he can't NOT help  newcomers. ;D With his step by step , no nonsense approach, I've seen complete novices turn out exactly what you are looking for ,on their first attempt.  Good luck on making your first bow! ;)