Author Topic: Scraper Preference  (Read 4994 times)

Offline RyanR

Scraper Preference
« on: October 15, 2013, 06:34:51 pm »
What are some of your preferred scrapers and methods of sharpening? I am thinking of trying something new.

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
Re: Scraper Preference
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 06:38:14 pm »
I still use bandsaw blade material and old scissers. File longitudinaly(is that a word? Lol) then roll the edge slightly... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 06:41:07 pm »
My scraper is made from an old circular saw blade.  I put an edge on it 3 years ago or so and haven't had to touch it since.  I followed the how-to post on putting the bur on it.    I use broken scissors around pin knots
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Albert

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 07:26:52 pm »
Bahco card scraper. Sharpen it often. When sharp and a burr is properly put on it, it really cuts and leaves a smooth finish.

The proper way to sharpen it:

I got mine for 8$ I think.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 12:43:08 am by Pat B »

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 07:33:07 pm »
Stainless Steel.  Buddy works in a machine shop and he makes them for us.  I have several sizes but this one I use most.  The burr is pretty resilient.  Hit it on the grinder to sharpen, but its not needed often.  I was slow coming to this SS contraption, but I cant image not having it now.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 08:55:06 pm »
Old Hickory kitchen knife, sharpened on a single bevel, with a small bastard file - really takes off some wood. 

Pocket knife sharpened on the rough side of an old oil stone for the fine scraping.    I also have used the card scrapers, but I have come to prefer that old butcher knife more than anything else I have tried.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 08:57:45 pm »
I need to try different types, only used a very thin cabinet scraper, have seen people using thick ones and it seams to work very well.  I'm going to have to invest some time in making some tools instead of building and hunting......At times I really enjoy down time in January and February for things like that.

As far as sharping, just square the edge with a file and then round over the corner with a screwdriver to form a bur.  I'm up for new ways though
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline wood_bandit99

• Shoot straight my friends!!
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 10:49:37 pm »
For square or trapezoid cross sections, old 16 guage steel cut to a manageable size/ a goose neck out of the same stuff for the back of osage, then I buy a bending scraper for English longbow type cross sections
Yew and osage, BEST. WOODS. EVER! Shoot straight my friends!!!

Offline Poggins

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2013, 11:01:44 pm »
I use cabinet scrapers , a large bandsaw blade used for metal and a scraper used for scraping floors ( the one I use doesn't have the sharp edge ) , I file them and I burr the edge .
They all have their place , from the flexible cabinet scrapers to the stiff floor scraper .

Offline bubby

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2013, 01:30:53 am »
the only real scraper I have, a buddy gave it to me, bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline gianluca100

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2013, 04:01:58 am »
since over ten years i use a drawkive as as scraper. i put a burr on so the knive is not usable for cutting anymore, but it's a superb scraper  :)
resharpen and touch up the burr from time to time and that's it.

mikekeswick

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2013, 04:44:04 am »
buy one of these - http://www.clasohlson.com/uk/Bahco-Card-Scraper/Pr200491000?gclid=CP_H8b7qmroCFQ_LtAodcHkA1Q or similar and get Dean Torges book for a great description of how to sharpen it to it's optimum.
There is an awful lot of confusing advice out there about scrapers.

Offline dwardo

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2013, 07:34:49 am »
I hate my scraper but still have not remembered to replaced it. It does cut well when sharp but it has two sharp points on one end due to a half circle cut out, probably for spoke making etc. This always catches work.

Time to go the tool shop i think...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2013, 07:41:55 am »
I know Mike  ;) ;D ;D I use a 50/1000 and 70/1000 band saw blade 50/1000 from Niss plant and 70/1000 from GM plant.I sharpen them on a belt sander with either fine belt or a worn out belt by setting the cutting edge flat length ways just for a second or 2. May not last as long as some edges but it quick and cut great. :)
Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Badger

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2013, 08:18:02 am »
  Sometimes I use the 1" belt sander but mostly I use a file. A few weeks ago I worked on a persimmon stave that I had to resharpen my scraper every 4 or 5 passes. I can get through an osage or ipe bow on one sharpen as a rule.