Author Topic: BOM Anyone? yikes!!!!  (Read 28126 times)

Offline H Rhodes

Re: BOM Anyone? yikes!!!!
« Reply #90 on: October 16, 2013, 10:29:27 pm »
I look forward to seeing BOM and I hope that y'all enter more bows.  I make mine to shoot and finishing work is just not where my interest lies, so I don't enter mine.  I do look forward to seeing all of the pretty workmanship that you real artisans create.  That said, this discussion has brought home to me that the subscriptions keep this site up and running, so when I finish this post I am going to buy my subscription.   All things considered, this site has become an invaluable source of information to me.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #91 on: October 16, 2013, 11:07:39 pm »
Read this whole thing and there's probably a million snappy come-backs, but with the current tone is seems the only answer is to throw out all the low-life non-subscribers LIKE ME, and solve all your problems. The only down side is after you do, you will have to start eating your own.

For what it's worth, I was a subscriber prior to that incident.
Rich Rousseau
Half Eye

;) :) :)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 07:03:21 am by Pappy »
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #92 on: October 16, 2013, 11:23:43 pm »
When I was a kid, my sister cheated at everything because she simply could not stand to lose.  Consequently I have a absolutely nasty taste in my mouth for competing.  So Soy tells me to pull up my big-girl panties and enter anyway.  Gonna take a whole lot more psychotherapy than that, ol' buddy. 

I have entered a bow, once.  Plain Jane took second and I felt pretty proud of her.  If I remember right, there were quite a few other bows that month that were impressive, and most better tillered to boot.  Not being able to see who voted for my entry, I can't say if it was friends voting for me or folks voting for my bow.  I do know all the checks I sent out that month were cashed!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #93 on: October 17, 2013, 01:21:31 am »
Wow! Gone for a day or two and S%#T hits the fan! Just a thought ,but............... Taunton press publishes a World class magazine called  "Fine Woodworking" . Great magazine. Lots of debate between purists and those who  are more inclined to use machines (kind of like Primitive / FG/ Compound guys). They don't have a "project of the month " , but instead  ,have a readers gallery. Essentially a showcase of eyecandy  to grab the readers attention. Works for the magazine and for the readers. The back cover always has a different artisan ,with details of how he created his piece or how a certain detail was executed etc.  I think that this is what the BOM thing really is about , isn't it? I know I always look for it as inspiration and to see the unique and unusual. To see how others have tackled a particularly gnarly stave, or hear a " feel good" story of a bow made for the neighbour kid, or an old fencepost recycled  .... the list goes on. We just want to see bows and  hear some stories.  Not saying PA should adopt this  approach,  just saying it's another way of achieving the same end result.

Offline adb

« Reply #94 on: October 17, 2013, 01:25:03 am »
Lots of people get turned off by competition. I think your idea is a good one.

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #95 on: October 17, 2013, 02:03:19 am »
Howdy Folks,   I'm amazed at the rate this thread has grown!   The initial question was is the subscriber only rule hurting the contest?   The answer?  It looks like it's only part of the story.  Those of us that like the BOM contest need to support it with our votes and entries.  I get a little intimidated by some of the amazing finishes, artwork and photography, but raising the bar is part of what this is about, for me anyway.
There's a couple of folks with strong reasons to not support the magazine.  I don't see that myself.  Nothing forces you to buy the magazine, but it's just about the only publication that address's our interests.   There is always more than one article and always something new.
As others have pointed out the cost per issue is really reasonable.  The truth is that magazine publishing is a tough business and even the big guys are having trouble making money.  That suggests to me that that the current and past owners/ editors are doing this as much for the love of it as for $$.  (Disclaimer, nobody's paying me anything! :-\)
Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline bowsandroses

« Reply #96 on: October 17, 2013, 03:34:14 am »
Ok I'm going to try to get one finished for next month, guilt me to it. I feel competition is competition it's natural for all living things to compete, Humans not excluded. You win some you lose some if your like me you get used to loosen ;) ;D. I just recently started voting because I felt my knowledge was to novice to give a worthy vote. But the reason I haven't entered a bow is not a fear of loosing but an honest feeling that my bows are still just a little less worthy than most on here. Like every one else I like to look at other peoples work BOM is far from my favorite article but a good one just the same. As far as becoming a subscriber to enter I feel it only makes sense, after all we as a group and the good will of PA Mag. is competing simply for survival. Hugh
My two cents worth of wisdom
One who seeks solitude will find their inner spirit.

A man who speaks to critters is a man with an audience who listens
                                              Hugh Ridenour

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #97 on: October 17, 2013, 06:52:56 am »
I emailed Josh[In charge of posting BOM] a week ahead of posting my sister snaky hickories asking whether a person could enter two like bows together.Did'nt hear a thing from him.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #98 on: October 17, 2013, 07:04:59 am »
Read this whole thing and there's probably a million snappy come-backs, but with the current tone is seems the only answer is to throw out all the low-life non-subscribers LIKE ME, and solve all your problems. The only down side is after you do, you will have to start eating your own.

For what it's worth, I was a subscriber Rich Rousseau
Half Eye

;) :) :) :)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 07:25:28 am by Pappy »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

blackhawk

« Reply #99 on: October 17, 2013, 07:08:05 am »
Ed josh isn't in charge of bom anymore....you'll have to contact criverville(cipriano)...I don't think your hick sisters would be a problem as one entry?... ??? But i ain't the say all end all on that

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #100 on: October 17, 2013, 07:23:57 am »
Beadman I would suspect that they would be entered separate,each standing on it own merit,I had 3 snaky sisters a few years back and wanted to do the same,wound up entering them each by them self.  :) turns out if I had of just entered 1 it probably would have won but one took from the other, and split the vote,If I remember I got 2nd and 3rd that month,back then we would have 25 or 30 bows a month,love to see it get back to that. ;) :)It's all good and even tho everyone want to win that is really not what it's all about to me,at least not anymore.  ??? :o :) Them Hickory's were some fine looking bow,go for it. :) By the way thanks to most for keeping it civil. ;) :) :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline 4dog

« Reply #101 on: October 17, 2013, 02:48:35 pm »
wow this thread had some gas!!! last checked it at page 3...BOM is cool..subscribe or not..vote or not..its all a choice..either or..you can still loom at em right?
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline adb

« Reply #102 on: October 17, 2013, 03:25:52 pm »
The good thing about BOM before you had to have a subscription to enter was, it grouped all the bows together in one post. I found there were some bows I had missed viewing.

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #103 on: October 17, 2013, 07:04:42 pm »
Being relatively new to PA, I only know BOM as it is now.  I think it is a very positive thing.  I have only entered one bow thus far.  To what Chris said, I prob wouldn't have entered unless encouraged to do so by Greg (Badly Bent) who I don't know but respect.   It was nice to hear someone thought my bow was worth entering.  Making bows for only about two years now, I feel I am still a little wet behind the ears to enter very often.  I am also a little slow at getting things finished with our eight month old son around :).  I love the magazine I will subscribe for as long as it is around.  I think not supporting something that creates an outlet for all of our addictions (both online and tangible mag) would be a shame.  Just me and my two cents. 

Matt Kulchak

Offline bubby

« Reply #104 on: October 17, 2013, 07:07:20 pm »
I think this subject came up last year about this time, although it didn't get this much attention
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹