Author Topic: Shortbow recurve question...  (Read 1200 times)

Offline Hector

Shortbow recurve question...
« on: October 08, 2013, 07:10:30 pm »
Hi all, first post, but been making bows for last ten years or so - I usually attempt any design for the woods I can obtain - haven't come by a straight bit yet nor without knots come to think of it!

Not sure where to post this so...on with the question...

I'm tillering a 40" rawhide backed leiland pine shortbow, which I reflexed the handle and tips but I think I put the tip bend too deep, the last 6" or so of the limbs. I'm gradually thinning the recurved area but want the last three inches unbending...question is how do I string the bugger?

Tried already but without string guide blocks, just push and pull, couldn't get strung and the brace height will be about 9" at this rate! It's an experiment but this wood is well seasoned and surprisingly good and keeps getting thinner and thinner, it's about 8mm at present.

So far belly is intact, not a single fret and it's full of pins.

Any opinions or suggestions will be of genuine interest, and has anyone worked this wood before?

Thanks for reading,

H

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
Re: Shortbow recurve question...
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 07:20:15 pm »
What's the intended draw length and weight?
I think a good sinew backing is in order here.
Get yourself a 'Bow Stringer' and you will have no problem stringing the thing
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 07:33:43 pm »
first off lengthen your string a little, the short native bows I've made i put one tip on top of my right instep my left knee on the belly of the grip, and bring the tip back far enough to put the string on, the string only on the bow on the bottom, it is not the step through method
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 07:34:29 pm »
oh yeah, sinew does sound like a good idea
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Hector

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 04:23:03 pm »
Hello to those that read and answered, cheers -

it happens that ive got 2 layers thick of sinew from a perfectly incorrect backing job (i forgot completely that i'd burnished oils into the back and the sinew popped of whole and intact) - would I be able to somehow soak these just enough to remain in one piece then get them on top of the rawhide? Was thinking of misting spray of warm water for a few minutes to see what happens then just size the rawhide, hot glue the sinew and apply as normal, in one go? And would the sinew still cure in the same way?

Might have to try making some kind of string pad as it twists badly in the hand when drawing (hoping for 30lb max @ 20" would be concerned to go over this draw as the recurves are not aligned as well as I would have liked).. if it was perfectly straight I think I would have tried some really thin horn on the belly somewhere, build up sinew nocks and called it a day till it cured..

Ps still havent got it braced yet :-) i'm just thinning out the tips as delicately as possible to keep the last 3" definately not bending, and let the recurved bits breathe a little...also I just realised I mistakenly recurved the wrong way so the belly previously is now the back - with still no chrysals or "ticks!"... will try to get a photo up once I figure out how.

Regards

H