Author Topic: Tips from a rookie..  (Read 1497 times)

Offline wapiti1997

• Joe Lacefield Wildlife and Nature Photography
Tips from a rookie..
« on: October 13, 2013, 09:34:55 pm »
I want to say thanks to everyone here for the wealth of information!  I've read so much here IMO it's as resourceful if not more so than the Bowyer's Bibles...

I have a few "Tips" for newbies that I simply ignored..

1: Wait to work on the handle-grip /shelf area of the bow until the very last.  If the bow fails during tillering, you haven't wasted that time.. A flat area on the tillering tree is more "usable" than an indention anyway..  Nothing worse than a bow that wants to roll around on the tillering tree..

2: If you use dry heat for corrections or flipping the tips, etc, use oil on the limbs if you think there might be some moisture in the wood. It will certainly "pop" and crack the belly to escape...  I had a stave that I was certain was dry, cracked the bottom limb, I used oil on the top, no problem..  I think it will tiller out, but lesson learned..

3: If you have begun this addiction, put away lots of staves.. more than you can use... They can be traded and it takes time to let them season..

4: The old woodworkers rule of measure twice, cut once, can certainly be applied here as well...

I try to check in here every day or so, don't post much as I get logged out each time I leave..  I've been a member of many internet hunting/outdoor groups over the years.  PA is by far the most educational and least argumentative. I've made some good friends here, thanks for having me!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Tips from a rookie..
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 01:50:30 am »
This is a good set of rules Wapiti. One other I would add is "practice your patience". It is your #1 rule. If you get frustrated or pissed, put it down and walk away.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 07:50:38 am »
Not a lot of absolutes in selfbow making/lots of ways to skin a cat, but them are rules that need to be followed.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline TimPotter

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 08:05:04 am »
That is a great list.  :)

I would add that one should always be on the lookout for wood that may not have been tried yet. That is how I discovered Crape Myrtle about 8 years ago.
"The best way to find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them."  Ernest Hemingway

Offline wapiti1997

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 08:08:12 am »
Slower is better for sure... If it feels like you're forcing something to happen.... it's probably going too fast... Patience is certainly #1 and applies to every step of bow making...

Lately I've been getting several bows to floor tiller stage, then later when they "speak" to me, we'll dance.... :)

Having  a hundred or so staves, mostly osage that is now getting close to a year seasoned, will keep me occupied for a while..  Much more to cut this winter as well...

The most challenging part of making the bow for me is getting the fades right..

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 08:09:52 am »
Not a lot of absolutes in selfbow making/lots of ways to skin a cat, but them are rules that need to be followed.  :)
   Pappy
+1
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline ssgtchad

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 09:53:09 am »
You said it brother!  8)
Always learning something new.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 08:23:52 pm »
Good post Joe.............
Don't forget our date with some osage this winter.  ;)
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 08:47:20 pm »
Something I might add is:

Don't be afraid to break, and ruin some bows... and once you've done it, don't spend too much time mourning, or too much effort trying to fix the bow, just keep the lesson upstairs and build another one.

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 09:03:11 pm »
Yep, Rossfactor,
Don't get hung up on a bow, make another,  I once heard a guy named Blackhawk on here say to me .....it's just wood.... :)
Now I understand
DBar

Offline wapiti1997

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2013, 09:53:45 pm »
I think we should have a forum or "sticky" (possibly called a "breakey" here just for broken bows, perhaps a how-to... :D 

Danzn Bear, we will definitely cut some yellar wood this winter..  We may have to build a fire in the pit and throw something in the dutch oven while we do so..  I have  a couple of trees that are maybe 14-16" DBH and 12-15' logs that I've been given permission to remove..  They are within 30-40 yards of where we can take the truck.... :)

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2013, 10:12:53 pm »
Joe,
Now that sounds like my kind of osage.. >:D ;) :)
Bill