Author Topic: Tillering questions  (Read 4555 times)

Offline Tiredtim

Tillering questions
« on: October 13, 2013, 08:57:04 pm »
I am having difficulty with tillering.  I have build about 6 bows and only 2 shoot.  I broke the others.  One pulls at 50#'s and the other about 35.  I go slow and check it often but seem to miss some thing some where.  I like what the one guys says, "If you ain't breaking, you ain't making."  I'm breaking but not making.  Any suggestions or any one know of a good build along that shows tillering? thanks

This is a hinge I have created.  It was looking good.  I have no idea where I went wrong. 

Offline Danzn Bar

Re: Tillering questions
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 09:39:41 pm »
Looks to me like you need to get the bow bending out of the fades/right off the handle on both limbs.  As far as a hinge maybe on the left limb towards the tip.  Looks like too much of a whip tiller.  What does the back look like.  what is the type of wood, board or stave?  need a little more info to justify a good response.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 09:46:29 pm »
You whipped the ends. My guess, you didn't get a short string on it soon enough.  If you get it braced early you can see the weaker areas while there is still plenty of wood to remove as you even things out. Once braced it's just a matter of getting the radius right on each limb and getting both limbs to match each other. Then just remove wood stem to stern an even number of times on each limb. Exercise and check the tiller.  If this bow was pulling say 40 lbs at 10 inches, you could still get it working. Hope that makes sense. Keep plugin'.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Tiredtim

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 09:51:47 pm »
Dan, it is a board bow.  Hard Maple backed with hickory in the middle with sinew on the tips.  Bob, it kind of makes sense.  I'll read and re-read what you said till it does.  But what do you mean by short string?  And how high should the brace be when doing this?  I'm always afraid of snapping one.  Not afraid to try just figure it will be a matter of time.  That may be why I don't tiller well.  Thanks for the information.  Keep it coming! 

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2013, 10:08:00 pm »
I mean bracing the bow at 3 to 4 inches early on. I get mine low braced very early on. I think some guys don't because their tillering method is different than mine, but some guys don't out of fear of breaking it. I have never broken one at that stage low bracing it. It allows me to see and modify the shape of the limbs while there is still lots of wood to remove. If it's right at 3 inches then pull it on the tree another inch and check the tiller. Scape exercise and check it again. When it's good at 4 inches go 5. You'll be way heavy but that's to your advantage as you even things up. Brace it at 5 inches when you have pulled it on the tree to 5 inches. Now just keep things even as you go.

Want to clarify something. I don't brace at 5 inches until I have pulled it on the tree to 7 maybe 8 inches.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 10:18:05 pm by SLIMBOB »
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2013, 11:09:15 pm »
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 12:00:52 am »
Okay let's put tillering in to the simplest terms possible. All tillering is, is basically removing all stiff spots that's it !
I like osage

Offline adb

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 12:04:07 am »
Sorry... it's not quite that simple.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 12:06:22 am »

Well basically, yes it is that's the simplest way to define it
I like osage

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 08:04:32 am »
I see a lot of beginners do that,you tend to scrape the whole limb and as you scrape from fad to tip it is very easy to get deeper, the limb is tapered so they get whipped tillered,just lighten up as you scrape instead of getting harder,it will help with that problem. :) I have seen folks almost cut the last 8 or 10 inches off the bow they get it so thin. :) that beginning hinge you should be able to work out,just don't pull on it until for get some wood off the center to the fads,I always save most of the fads till close to the last,if you get them bending to much to start if will create a hinge and lots more set.  ;) :)
Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Tiredtim

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2013, 09:52:49 am »
Thanks Pappy! So, I need to work the fades and then the tips on this one, correct?  You are right, I was digging deep on the scraper.  Should I put it on a short string like Del said?  He made sense.  How exactly do I get rid of the whip tiller? 

Offline adb

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2013, 09:57:29 am »
Anywhere your bow is bending too much, leave it alone. Like your tips. Don't touch. Anywhere your bow is not bending enough, remove wood. Like your fades and midlimbs. If you have a hinge, don't touch it where it's bending. Remove wood above and below the hinge until it's gone. This is now your weak limb, match the other limb to it.

Offline adb

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2013, 09:59:49 am »

Well basically, yes it is that's the simplest way to define it

What about draw weight, draw length, tiller shape, back profile, tip deflection, and symmetrical limb bend? Do they matter?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2013, 10:08:53 am »
What adb said on removing the hinge,I always put a mark on either side of the part that is bending to much and mark it NO,so I am sure to stay off of that till it comes back in with the rest. :) I also stay off or almost off the last 6 or 8 inches
of the limb until you start getting closer to finish,fads and tips are the easiest to get bending to much early on. Fads because all the stress is their toward the center,it's like bending a stick holding it on each end,it will bend in the middle, and tips because they are usually much narrower.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Online Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2013, 10:11:26 am »
I think a common newbie mistake is handle waaaaay too long. Fades waaaay too long.
Newbies are firghtened of too sharp a fade and all the books say blend it it in gently.
The problem is you end up with the centre third stiff, and then the two ends whip tillered. giving what I call a 'square' tiller 'cos it looks like |_| but up the other way.
Have a trawl through my bowyers diary, there are plenty of pics of bows being tillered at various stages. , but and also some vids.
A good trick is to hold a plate, mug, CD or whatever up in front of you as you look at the bow, it will show where the bend isn't smooth.
I've got an Elm warbow in the early stages on my blog there at the mo', you can see it's not perfect, if you hold up a Cd to the pics you can see where it is stif and where it bends too much... I also explain how I'm going to fix it.
http://bowyersdiary.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/busy-weekend.html
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.