Author Topic: Woodpecker holes in Yew  (Read 4956 times)

Offline Carson (CMB)

Re: Woodpecker holes in Yew
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2013, 03:02:41 pm »
Are +you sure they are woodpecker holes? Was it dead standing wood? Woodpeckers will not try to make their nest unless the tree is already dead or diseased. Softer wood.

Sapsuckers, a species of peckerwood,  as the name implies feed on the sap and probably to a larger degree the insects drawn to the sap of the wounds they inflict on living trees.  They peck living trees, often in a series of rows as in Weylin's stave, returning regularly to feed.  They maintain these sap pits over generations, so the visible damage on the back of the bow can be traced decades back through the wood, but as Weylin suggested, the tree is continually healing the wound, as the sapsucker is continually renewing the wound. 

Weylin, I would scrape down a bit until the craters are about gone.  Dave Lawson made a nice hunting weight flatbow with similar sapsucker damage AND lots of rot. To my knowledge it is still shooting. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2013, 03:25:18 pm »
Those young peckers well peck at anything.

Ah! The good old days, I remember them well!
(I couldn't pass it up)

Don

Lol I'm glad someone got it  ;D
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Dan K

• 58#@28"
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2013, 04:45:22 pm »
Ugh. Butchered that one huh?  Auto correct and 6:30 in the morning is a bad combo for this ol'boy for sure. Thanks adb :)
Excellence is a state of mind.  Whether you think you can or can't...you're right!

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2013, 06:21:55 pm »
Dan did you ever post your wife's bow? That is one of the finest yew bows these eyes have seen.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2013, 06:59:57 pm »
Wood pecker holes, if not to deep, won't necessarily compromise the back of a bow.. this one turned out fine...

But than again it was plum, and you're only working with yew so... i can't guarantee anything  >:D

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline adb

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2013, 07:25:20 pm »
Ugh. Butchered that one huh?  Auto correct and 6:30 in the morning is a bad combo for this ol'boy for sure. Thanks adb :)

No worries! I knew you meant cambium, but it made me chuckle!

Offline Hamish

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2013, 08:40:24 pm »
All the old timers yew bows had the sapwood thinned down to an even 3/16" or so, you could get away with  with 1/8" for looks or even a heartwood stave. Better to be safe than sorry, as yew isn't cheap.

Offline Dan K

• 58#@28"
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2013, 11:42:13 pm »
Thank you Bryce.  She likes it.  I never posted any pics that I remember.  I'll take a good one of the pecker damage for Weylin's benefit and post here.
Excellence is a state of mind.  Whether you think you can or can't...you're right!

Offline snag

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2013, 01:11:19 pm »
Weylin, this is the bow Carson was talking about. This is a yew bow I built during a John Strunk get-together.  After building it and shooting it John told me this was the one out of about 6 other bows, that were built that weekend, that he didn't think would make it! haha  It has had a lot of arrows through it and is shooting good. Hope to kill a blacktail buck with it in Nov.  The first pic is of a rotten knot that I had to remove.  We mixed some yew sawdust and superglue and filled it in.  I think if the tiller is good yew will hold up to quite a bit.  That's my limited experience and knowledge for it's worth.
Is. 49:2 ....He made me a polished arrow and concealed me in His quiver.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2013, 10:58:55 pm »
That's cool, snag.

Thanks for all the input, everyone. I decided to scrap down past the woodpecker holes. They just seemed to be begging to lift a splinter. It's still pretty interesting looking underneath. I've been working on it at the Forest of Arts festival at the Hopkins Demonstration Forest in Oregon City. I'm doing a "bow making demonstration" which is basically me working on my bow while people come by and look at my bows and ask me what kind of wood their make of. It's been fun though, At least I get to spent most of the day working on my bow.

Offline Dan K

• 58#@28"
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2013, 12:36:14 am »
Sounds like fun Weylin.  Here are a couple pics of Sherry's bow.  I soaked the damage with CA and have had no issues.

Good luck!

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2013, 12:44:18 am »
Gorgeous Dan-o. Where did you find that piece? >:D
Clatskanie, Oregon