Author Topic: tool points?  (Read 1138 times)

Offline ohiocountryboy

tool points?
« on: October 21, 2013, 12:06:45 am »
When making your pressure flakers how should I shape the points? Sharp pointed with flat sides like a nail or coned like a pencil? Sharp or dull? Flat tend? Thick or thin? Or all of the above?  What do u use? Thanks

Offline Knapper

• David Atnip
Re: tool points?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 12:14:12 am »
Ohio,
Make them all. I use pointy ones, round and flat. Depending on the job.
Knapper
Ad Dare Servire
PM104250

Offline Dalton Knapper

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 12:17:47 am »
Well, I let mine get pretty rounded and I snap a lot of thin points in two when pressure flaking. I think up to a certain point it does not matter, but when you start getting a point pretty thin, sharp may be better. I will be interested to hear what people say because I have wondered if flat pressure flakers may be a problem in the final stages.

Offline papoints

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 06:44:28 am »
I like mine really sharp.  Just don't slip and poke it into the end of your finger like I did.

Offline Knapper

• David Atnip
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 11:17:52 am »
When knocking out pre forms a rounded more blunt tip works for me. As the point advances to secondary biface I start to sharpen the point more. Once the point is thin the point of the tool  is also thin and sharp, to make sure Im not breaking at this point in the process I also make sure the platform is not to thick( just happened yesterday). To big of a bite is dangerous at this stage.
Knapper
Ad Dare Servire
PM104250