Author Topic: Calif does it again  (Read 11660 times)

Offline bubby

Re: Calif does it again
« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2013, 10:37:11 pm »
Funny you brought up Teddy as in his zelousness to protect he caused the starvation deaths of thousands of animals by not this.kit.g things thru, witch is want we have with this law
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2013, 11:08:26 pm »
Early conservation laws were flawed and the science lagged behind the good intentions.  But I know you aren't in favor of lifting all limits and seasons just because 100 years ago they hadn't figured out what habitat carrying capacity was all about.   

Likewise, I don't think people use lead ammo because they want their national symbol, the bald eagle, to eat lead fragments and die of lead poisoning. My point is that if we, the hunters and conservationists, take the necesary steps to prevent unnecessary by-kill, then the anti's won't be able to dictate the position those in California find themselves in. 

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline 4dog

« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2013, 11:20:41 pm »
never meant for that to sound like an attack jdub,,if it did, please forgive.
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #48 on: October 23, 2013, 11:24:26 pm »
never meant for that to sound like an attack jdub,,if it did, please forgive.

Nope, didn't take it that way at all, just wanted to clarify a point.

Can you imagine the heat T.R. took when he started arguing that there had to be limits on game?  People came out of the woodwork ranting that after he had done all he could to shoot everything that walked, ran, crawled, flew, or wiggled NOW he wanted to endorse conservation of a limited natural resource.  Fact is, the world around us is changing, we know more now then we used to, and we have to make best efforts today with what we have to work with. 

'Sides, my Zwickey's are utterly lead free!  Not that it matters much because 4 weeks into season I have yet to get out other than about 45 minutes one evening.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 11:28:39 pm by JW_Halverson »

Offline 4dog

« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2013, 12:14:02 am »
lol  zwickeys it is then..and copper.
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline bubby

« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2013, 12:48:53 am »
no I don't want wanton killing going on, I just wish it was thought out better even our fish and wildlife didn't back it as written, anyway I'm just a dumbass redneck and I'm gonna drop out of this topic before the water gets to deep and let all you guys hash it out
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #51 on: October 24, 2013, 06:57:27 am »
This is the kind of topic that usually goes South pretty quick,that for keeping it
nice. :) " laws were flawed and the science lagged behind the good intentions."
That's the problem with most laws/legislation or at least a lot of them.  ;) :) JW.
I will say unless they come up with wood/cain/steel or stone is poisoning I'm
good to go. Al tho it can be deadly and very harmful to the critters health.  ;) ;D ;D ;D Got to keep it light. ;)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #52 on: October 24, 2013, 04:31:22 pm »
The overwhelming expectation of this site is to "keep it nice".  And I appreciate how everyone supports that. 

Offline sleek

« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2013, 03:34:13 am »
I wonder how no lead will affect the role your own crowd. Especially the guys who pour their own also.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2013, 03:03:20 pm »
The purist muzzleloading crowd is pretty small. In SD, they figure less than 4 percent of all muzzleloading tags are filled by people shooting traditional roundball.  The modern sabot are really a modified high caliber pistol round and I don't know if they will develop enough fps to deploy correctly if they were solid copper.  But I think that is something coming down the pipe as I hear that copper shotgun slugs are available and showing amazing downrange lethality. 

I have a tag for muzzleloading season.  I will (attempt) to take a deer with my flintlock and lead roundballs.  But I will be burying the gutpile and covering with brush as well to discourage birds from feeding on it. Coyotes are likely to find it and dig it up, but being mammals there is much less effect on their systems. 

I did find a source of non-lead roundballs.  Well, not exactly round, they have a bit of a "belt" around the middle.  I messaged the manufacturer and they have not responded.  I am trying to get some more information and I would certainly try them.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2013, 03:26:03 pm »
Well, if it ever gets that bad I hope someone will take care of us guys shooting odd size balls. I've got to pour mine for .47 cal.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline stickbender

« Reply #56 on: October 28, 2013, 05:59:39 pm »
Well, if it ever gets that bad I hope someone will take care of us guys shooting odd size balls. I've got to pour mine for .47 cal.

Re bore to fifty! ;)

Wayne

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #57 on: October 28, 2013, 06:21:56 pm »
Not this collector barrel. ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #58 on: October 28, 2013, 08:44:43 pm »
Confirms what many of us have suspected for a great while now.  Mullet is in the odd ball camp.

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #59 on: October 29, 2013, 12:35:21 pm »
Confirms what many of us have suspected for a great while now.  Mullet is in the odd ball camp.

Thank Goodness he's the only one!      Right?
Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers