Author Topic: Got a new toy  (Read 3156 times)

Offline hedgeapple

Got a new toy
« on: October 12, 2013, 01:42:52 am »
It's not primitive, but I'm pretty darn excited about it.  Now if I can just afford to get proficient with it.  I think I'm going have to actually set up the reloader I've had for 20+ years.

Ruger Blackhawk .357 stainless with 6 1/2" barrel.  Getting used to these western style grip is more challenging than I expect.  But I'm getting there.  I hope to carry it as a side arm during the November modern firearm season this year.  I've been practicing at 15 yard and grouping a 10" circle.  I had to chuckle today on the range when I realized I shoot my bow much better than I do this revolver. haha

Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Got a new toy
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 01:46:06 am »
Very nice Dave.  Are  you able to shoot on your property?  Maybe we could burn a few shells at the next Moontree gathering.  I can bring some of my toys.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2013, 04:42:52 am »
Very nice, Dave. I know I like my 44mag Redhawk. I've knocked down quiet a few piggies with it.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline seabass

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2013, 06:24:51 am »
very nice Dave.i have a 7 1/2 in 44.mine is just blue with buff horn grips.i am really liking the looks of your stainless.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline DGF

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2013, 06:48:06 am »
Good choice Dave. Great looking gun and it's hard to beat Ruger revolvers. I picked up a 44 mag super blackhawk hunter to use during the gun season here. I look at it as being between bow hunting and rifle hunting. What leather are you going with?

-Dan
Wyoming, MI

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2013, 12:18:17 pm »
Clint of course, we can shoot on my farm.  I wouldn't have bought if I couldn't step out on the porch and fire a gun.   ;)  Sure we can pops some caps at the Moon Tree Gathering.

I have a .44 S&W 626 with a 4 1/2 in barrel that I inherited from my grandfather.  Since my pinched nerve last year I can't shoot it with hunting loads.  It sends a severe pain shooting from my hand up through my shoulder.  :(  I was concerned that the .357 might do the same thing.  But shooting .38 light defense loads, it kicks about like my .22 mag.  And shooting 180 grain hunting loads it's just slightly more than my .380 LCP. The LCP kicks a bit because it's so small.  It's a pleasure to shoot.  After shooting the Blackhawk with the western style grip, I'm thinking maybe I could handle a Super Blackhawk .44.  The S&W grip force the impact straight back while the Ruger grip allows the it to "roll" up.  Clint and Seabass bring them to Moon  Tree.  I'd like to give the Super Blackhawk a try.

DGF, I love Ruger handguns.  I own a Mark III, a LCP and now the Blackhawk right now.  I've had 8 or 10 more in the past.  All were great guns.  As far as leather, I think I'm going with a cheap nylon bandoleer style (or I might make one) for hunting.  I think that would work best in a tree stand.  But, I'll be getting a cowboy holster for everyday use.  I would make that holster, but I don't have the patience to make the belt with bullet loops.  And, I want the color of the holster and the belt to match.

Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2013, 12:58:54 pm »
Dave, I'll bring my Taurus 44 mag.  We will definitely pop a few caps. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2013, 01:35:01 pm »
Well now, look at that.  That's right nice.  Love those grips.  I may just have to tote some heat to Moontree myself if that's the way its gonna be. :laugh:
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline seabass

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2013, 04:19:18 pm »
we are gonna have fun fellas.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2013, 04:30:40 pm »
I've been practicing at 15 yard and grouping a 10" circle.  I had to chuckle today on the range when I realized I shoot my bow much better than I do this revolver. haha

Lol I had the same thing happen to me a few weeks ago shooting a .357 S&W. I was shooting at 8" plates at 18 yards and only hitting about 60% of them. Granted Ive only shot handguns a few times, but it was funny to think that I could have hit all of them with my bow. Beautiful pistol by the way. You sure are lucky to be able to shoot on your property.

Jon

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2013, 08:08:39 pm »
Well, if everyone is bringing side arms to Moon Tree, I need to dream up something more fun to shoot at than paper.  ;)
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2013, 04:39:28 am »
I found this DIY online.  I think it will be fun at the Moon Tree Gather.  Heck we might even fling an arrow at it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYAjuQKVBm4&feature=player_detailpage
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline TRACY

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2013, 09:42:14 am »
Very nice Dave.  Are  you able to shoot on your property?  Maybe we could burn a few shells at the next Moontree gathering.  I can bring some of my toys.

I'm in too  :D

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline campx

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2013, 08:35:01 pm »
Nice!  I played with a Ruger Vaquero in .357 this summer, very similar, nice to shoot. Had an 11 year old boy shooting .38 Special and .357 Mag loads, too, he shot it better than me! 

Offline seabass

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2013, 06:34:26 am »
the target looks great Dave and heck yeah I want to fling an arrow at it.it looks like an easy enough build
Middletown,Ohio