Author Topic: Hackberry fans: Advice please  (Read 3628 times)

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
Re: Hackberry fans: Advice please
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2013, 10:34:57 am »
I agree with PD and Gun Doc.  Temper your hackberry and temper your expectations.  Increasing draw weight with sinew is somewhat doable on shorter bows.  You wont see much difference at that length IMO.  Sinew back it if you are set on doing it, no harm in it, but it wont accomplish what you are asking of it.  Mid 40's, tempered belly with a sweet tiller, hard to beat.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline smoke

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2013, 10:48:53 am »
Great responses.  Thanks guys!

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2013, 02:11:24 pm »
I haven't worked with Hackberry, so take this with a big grain of salt. But I don't see why you wouldn't be able to get 60# out of a 66" 1.3 wide bend through the handle bow on most decent white-woods.

Admittedly the width is on the low end, but if you have the bow bending through the handle and you keep it 1.3 wide out past mid limb, you're going to relieve lot of inner limb stress. And 66 is plenty of length.  I think its a matter of tillering, if you nail the tiller, my gut tells me 60# is doable with those specs. No sinew needed.

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2013, 03:02:09 pm »
Id agree Gabe, providing its tempered. Ive made several hackberrys both ways and its astonishing how much less wood it takes when tempered compared to raw wood.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2013, 09:47:21 pm »
Great post! good information thanks for the info. I'm eyeballing a hackberry that just might make a stave or two next spring.
Thanx
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2013, 10:03:19 am »
Me too Danzn Bar.I'm a sinewing fool......LOL.I've got good looking hackberry all around me here.That's all I need.I just choose to fool with hickory.I've got myself covered up with bows' progresses' all around me here.
I think with a heat treatment and carrying width a little past midlimb you should be fine.I'll quote Tim Bakers' hypothesis.I know he's not God but here it is.A 2" wide 65" bow will get you the draw weight of it's density.Now that's not considering heat treatment though.Now 1.3 width is only 65% of that.65% of 60# is 40# with heat treatment you might get close to 50# with 2" of set back.Sorry if this confuses you but in the end make your bow tiller it spot on and you should get close to what you want.Even if it's 55#.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2013, 10:12:03 am »
Oh and sinewing will increase draw weight no doubt.It all depends on how you do it and the quality of work you do.
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2013, 10:37:39 am »
Correction actually 65% of 53[hackberrys density] would only be about a 35# bow.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Parnell

« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2013, 12:41:01 pm »
It's all been said so I'll just say this...I love the smell of toasting hackberry.  Good luck.
1’—>1’